About Shared Services
Shared Services, Eric Sills, Director
Shared Services provides a wide array of enterprise level middleware services for OIT and other campus IT organizations. Shared services in collaboration with the Research Office, the Office of the Provost, and colleges also provides High Performance Computing (HPC) and Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) services. Additionally, Shared Services has systems architects for enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications and Identity Management, and assists with various special IT projects.
- IT systems research and development, IT systems architecture, Identity management systems architecture
Systems and Technology Services
- Access and Workload Services
- Batch processing, Account provisioning and deprovisioning, Password management, Roles management, Report archive and distribution, Electronic data interchange
- Application Infrastructure Services
- Enterprise scale Unix/Linux systems services, middleware/multi-tier application services (e.g. PeopleSoft and SAS Business Intelligence), AFS, E-Mail Relays and enterprise Email lists, interface to Postini
- Database Services
- Database installation and maintenance, database administration and support, database design and consultation, database bulk data moves. Supporting Oracle and MySQL databases and remaining legacy Sybase databases.
- Identity and Web Services
- Web services, Identity management, Authentication and authorization services
- Distributed memory and shared memory parallel computing resources; large HPC data storage; HPC software; HPC support, consulting, and collaboration
- Private cloud computing services: application delivery for faculty and students, instructional server deployment, long-term server deployment. Apache VCL project management. Apache VCL development.
- National Collaborative for Bio-Preparedness (NCB-Prepared) - Homeland Security funded biopreparedness project in collaboration with UNC-Chapel Hill and SAS
- Facilitating NC Community College use of VCL - funded by NC Community Colleges
- Use of VCL to deliver instructional software for teaching math to middle school students - funded by NSF