Installing Trend Micro OfficeScan for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2008/2012
These instructions are for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
CAUTION: This installation process is divided into stages. To avoid damaging your computer and to install the Trend Micro program successfully, it is crucial that you do BOTH of these things:
- Complete each stage in the order given.
- Finish all the steps in one stage before moving to the next.
NOTE: You will be closing programs and restarting your computer during this process, so you may want to print out these instructions.
If you have problems while performing these steps, contact the NC State Help Desk for assistance.
When you leave NC State
Licensing restrictions require that you uninstall the university-provided antivirus software from your personal computer when you are no longer a student or a member of the faculty or staff. For details, see the "Uninstalling Trend Micro and other antivirus products" section on the Antivirus Troubleshooting page.
- Updating your operating system
- Uninstalling existing antivirus and anti-spyware/malware programs
- OPTIONAL - Cleaning up after uninstalling antivirus programs
- Downloading Trend Micro OfficeScan
- Installing Trend Micro OfficeScan for Windows7 and Windows Server 2008
Make sure that you have installed the latest Windows updates from Microsoft Windows Update:
Before you can install Trend Micro OfficeScan, you must uninstall ALL of the following products that are present on your computer:
- General antivirus programs
See Uninstalling Other Antivirus Products.
- Anti-spyware and malware removal programs
Examples: SpyBot - Search & Destroy, AdAware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Follow the manufacturer's instructions for uninstalling these.
NOTE: To avoid operational conflicts, OfficeScan will attempt to uninstall or disable any such products that it finds on your computer. For details, see Installation Issues.
- Check the manufacturer's website for the antivirus program you are removing to see if there is a cleanup utility available.
- Be sure that you are an administrator for the computer on which you will be installing this program. [How to Tell if You Are an Administrator]
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Read the appropriate End User License Agreement for the computer:
- For your own computer, read End User License Agreement: Privately-owned Windows computer
- For a university-owned computer, read End User License Agreement: University-owned Windows computer
- At the bottom of the page, click on I Agree.
- Log in with your Unity ID and password if you have not already done so.
- As soon as your login is complete, the download will begin.
- When your download is finished, close any programs currently running on your computer.
- Locate the downloaded installer file:
- For a personally-owned computer, the file is tmos.msi
- For a university-owned computer, the file is tmos-campus.msi
- Double-click on it. You will receive a Security Warning from Microsoft stating that the publisher cannot be verified.
- Click Run.
- After a few moments, when the Trend Micro OfficeScan Install Wizard appears, click the Next button.
- A few moments after installation begins, when Windows User Access Control asks for permission to proceed, click Yes.
- During the installation, ignore any pop-up error messsages that say antivirus software isn't installed or it isn't running.
- When the install is complete, click Finish.
- Restart your computer.
- When your computer finishes restarting, wait several moments while OfficeScan fully loads.
- During this time, ignore any pop-up error messages about being offline or not running. These will disappear in a few moments.