Installing Trend Micro OfficeScan for Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
These instructions are for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
CAUTION: This installation process is divided into stages. To avoid damaging your computer and to install the Trend Micro program successfully, it is crucial that you do BOTH of these things:
- Complete each stage in the order given.
- Finish all the steps in one stage before moving to the next.
NOTE: You will be closing programs and restarting your computer during this process, so you may want to print out these instructions.
If you have problems while performing these steps, contact the NC State Help Desk for assistance.
When you leave NC State
Licensing restrictions require that you uninstall the university-provided antivirus software from your personal computerwhen you are no longer a student or a member of the faculty or staff. For details, see the "Uninstalling Trend Micro and other antivirus products" section on the Antivirus Troubleshooting page.
- Updating your operating system
- Uninstalling existing antivirus and anti-spyware/malware programs
- OPTIONAL - Cleaning up after uninstalling antivirus programs
- Downloading Trend Micro OfficeScan
- Installing Trend Micro OfficeScan for Windows
Make sure that you have installed the latest Windows updates from Microsoft Windows Update:
Before you can install Trend Micro OfficeScan, you must uninstall all of the following products that are present on your computer:
- All other antivirus programs
See the general instructions for uninstalling other antivirus products.
- All anti-spyware and malware removal programs
Examples: SpyBot - Search & Destroy, AdAware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
OfficeScan will attempt to uninstall any competing products that it finds on your computer. See Installation Issues.
- Check the manufacturer's website for the antivirus program you are removing to see if there is a cleanup utility available.
- Be sure that you are an administrator for the computer on which you will be installing this program. [How to Tell if You Are an Administrator]
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Read the appropriate End User License Agreement for the computer:
- For your own computer, read End User License Agreement: Privately-owned Windows computer
- For a university-owned computer, read End User License Agreement: University-owned Windows computer
- At the bottom of the page, click on I Agree.
- Log in with your Unity ID and password.
- Confirm that you want to download the file. The download of Trend Micro OfficeScan 10 will begin immediately.
- When your download is finished, close any programs currently running on your computer.
- Locate the downloaded installer file:
- For a personally-owned computer, the file is tmos.msi
- For a university-owned computer, the file is tmos-campus.msi
- Double-click on it. After a few moments, the Trend Micro OfficeScan Install Wizard will appear.
- Click the Next button to continue.
- The installer will begin installing OfficeScan on your computer. The process will take a few moments to complete. During the installation, you may see pop-up errors indicating that you do not have antivirus software installed or that your antivirus software isn't running. These errors are normal during installation, and can be ignored.
- When the install is complete, click Finish.
- Restart your computer.
- When your computer finishes retstarting, it may take OfficeScan several moments to fully load and become ready. During this time, it may display errors that it is "offline" or not running. These errors will clear after a few moments.