Clickers Email List
To participate in the NC State campus clicker community:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the body of the email, type:
subscribe clickers emailaddress
where emailaddress is your own email address.
Windows OS, MS Office, & TurningPoint Compatibility
For OIT ClassTech spaces, the following versions are supported and verified for functionality:
- Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1
- MS Office 2010, SP1
- TurningPoint 2008, Version 4.3.*
If you are creating your Turning slides using versions outside those listed above, and you plan to use the lectern computer, please verify that your slides are compatible with our deployed software before attempting to use them during a lecture.
A note about Office 2013 and TurningPoint incompatibility
Currently ClassTech supported computers are running Office 2010 SP1, coupled with TurningPoint 4.3.*. The goal is to deploy Office 2013 and TurningPoint 5 prior to the start of the Fall 2013 semester. At this time there is a compatibility issue between Office 2013 and the version of TurningPoint deployed by ClassTech. Turning Technologies is working on a patch to the new release of TurningPoint (version 5), which is scheduled for April 2013 and should address this issue.
Please see the above section which outlines the current versions of software deployed to ClassTech computers.
PowerPoint AutoRecovery and TurningPoint
There is a known issue when the AutoRecovery feature is enabled via PowerPoint (default). When the AutoRecovery feature is activated (on a timer) PowerPoint attempts to save data pertaining to the currently opened presentation. This will cause TurningPoint to crash, which typically means a complete loss of captured data.
To avoid this, it is highly recommended that you disable this feature. This is not a global setting that can be controlled when the computer has the software installed; this is a per-user setting.
Disabling the AutoRecovery Feature
- Launch PowerPoint/TurningPoint.
- At the top left, click the Microsoft/PowerPoint logo.
- At the bottom right of the menu, click PowerPoint Options.
- On the left side of the menu, click Save.
- Make sure the checkbox for Save AutoRecover information every... is unmarked.
The NC State Campus Clicker Standard
Vice Chancellor for IT Marc Hoit announced in May 2009 that Turning Technologies classroom response systems have been chosen as NC State's standard "clickers" for classroom use. ClassTech will increase the number of classrooms equipped with Turning Technologies systems. In general, the Turning Technologies clicker devices will be purchased and maintained by students. If faculty and departments choose to use a different clicker technology in their classes, they will be expected to provide clickers for students to use. For more information about this decision, see the memorandum to deans, directors and department heads.
Send questions about using clickers in classrooms to email@example.com or contact the NC State Help Desk at 919-515-HELP (4357).
ClassTech rooms that support clicker use
More than 50 general purpose classrooms supported by ClassTech Services will soon support Turning Technologies clicker use. For more information, see ClassTech Supported Rooms with TurningPoint Receivers.
A word about TurningPoint and TurningPoint Anywhere
Be sure to create your content with the campus versions of these software packages. This will avoid compatibility issues between the campus version and the version available via the Turning Technologies website.
- For Windows-based versions use:
- For Mac-based versions use:
TurningPoint - Mac: Compatible with Office 2004, not compatible with Office 2008+ (No Visual Basic)
For more details, visit the Turning Technologies Polling Solutions page.
Course Web Registration
- Faculty can register their courses online: Turning Technology Web Registration.
Doing so allows students to easily register their clickers and ResponseWare accounts with their courses (described below).
- Faculty can then download the "Participants List" from that site as often as they like!
- The only function of this site is to add courses and download rosters. Faculty can manually create their participant lists if they wish.
- For more information on using the online Web Registration tool, please visit the Web Registration site.
Procedure for ordering Clickers or ResponseWare
- Faculty need to be sure to place clicker orders with the NC State Bookstore, just as they place textbook orders for classes.
- Faculty who wish to set up a ResponseWare account should visit the ResponseWare site.
- Students should purchase Turning Technologies clickers ResponseCard XR at the Bookstore, if they don't already own one.
- Students who wish to purchase ResponseWare for mobile devices should follow these instructions:
- Go to: http://store.turningtechnologies.com
- When prompted, enter NC State's school code: MR7i (not case sensitive)
If your students do not enter the school code, they will not be offered NC State’s pricing, and the website will revert to list pricing.
NC State Gold pricing for ResponseWare
- 6 month: 9.00
- 1 year: 15.00
- 2 year: 20.00
- 5 year: 40.00
- TurningPoint's online training
- MediaSite capture of Turning Technologies on campus clicker training
- Clicker Pedagogy in Larger Classes: How Using Clickers Can Improve Learning
Dr. David A McConnell, Nov 13, 2009
- DELTA's on-campus workshops
- Turning Technologies Class Handouts
- Clicker FAQ
- Clicker Resources