Securing Mobile Devices
Created: Wed, 07/06/2011 - 09:02, Last Updated: Thu, 07/26/2012 - 14:55
Mobile devices have a large amount of storage, are prone to being lost or stolen, and are often unprotected. Here’s how you can minimize the risk to your data.
- Configure the password.
- Use “Ask to Join” setting for wi-fi connections to ensure you don’t connect to unsecured wi-fi networks.
- Set the idle timeout so the device locks itself when not in use.
- Keep it patched by shutting it down at least weekly to allow updates to install.
- Enable encryption (e.g., SSL, HTTPS, VPN).
- When using mobile Internet browsers, block pop-ups and possibly cookies.
- Get your device engraved by the NC State police (Free service).
- Set up your device’s lost/stolen location services (e.g. GPS tracking) to assist in its recovery.
- Regularly back up your data.
- Use a secure password keeper application if you store passwords on your device.