About Communication Technologies
Communication Technologies (ComTech) serves as the telephony, cable television, and network service provider for the NC State University community and is responsible for designing, maintaining, and supporting the campus voice, video, and data network infrastructures and all associated components.
Engineering & Construction is led by Ed Rogers, Associate Director. Responsibilities include:
- Planning, design, and construction of all physical layer infrastructure across campus
- Design and construction of wireless infrastructure
- Consulting with university departments to meet infrastructure and connectivity needs (including coordination with Facilities on campus construction projects)
- Design of network access (layer 2) implmentations
- Design and support of campus video transport systems (CATV, OPTV, et al.)
- Keeping accurate infrastructure records data and making that data available to campus
- Providing mechanisms for Centennial Campus partners
- Creation and maintenance of campus design standards related to communications infrastructure.
Unified Communications is led by Josh Jury, Associate Director. Responsibilities include the engineering and maintenance of a suite of unified communications services:
- Cisco IP telephony environment
- CVM Nortel telephone switch
- Campus voice mail system
The team is also charged with the development and testing of more advanced UC services including:
Automatic Call Distribution (ACD)
Virtual meeting spaces
Data Networking is led by Greg James, Associate Director. Responsibilities include:
Design, configuration and maintenance of all campus networking equipment including routers, switches, wireless network, firewalls, Voice of IP, access to the Internet, VPN service, IP host registration and DHCP/DNS services.
Network Operations Center which is staffed from 7:15 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, to service customer network problems. This group also supports and maintains the campus telephony system by handling adds, moves, changes and troubles.
Campus voice mail support
Network related tool development for campus IT staff
MySOFT support for campus