Created: Wed, 03/04/2009 - 11:34, Last Updated: Tue, 07/21/2009 - 10:07
- IMAPThis link will open in a new window - Internet Message Access Protocol. A well-defined method for accessing messages stored on a remote server.
- User - a person who wants to read or send e-mail.
- Folder - a place where a user may access e-mail messages using an e-mail program of some type.
- Shared Folder - a folder that can be accessed by more than one user.
- IMAP Server -
- a process running on a machine that services IMAP protocol requests.
- The machine on which the IMAP server process runs. The IMAP server is where folders are kept.
- Shared folder server - a machine that has been set up to run an IMAP server whose folders are all shared. It is not a technical requirement that shared folders be on this server. Rather, it is an administrative one imposed to make machine and server administration somewhat easier.
- IMAP Server Administrator - that person who has FULL access to the IMAP server. This includes direct access allowing the startup and shutdown of the server processes.
- Shared Folder Administrator - a person who has been given administrative rights to a folder. This means they may set ACLs.