Rules & Regulations for Employee IT Use
For similar information for students, see Student IT Use Rules and Regulations.
The following list of NC State IT regulations, rules and procedures apply to NC State employees when using the computing and data network resources provided by NC State. Colleges and departments may have addtional rules and procedures for the acceptable use of their IT facilities and services. See also the Information Technology section of the university's official Policies, Regulations and Rules (PRRs) Web Site.
- The NC State Computer Use Regulation
This official regulation governs the acceptable use of the campus data network and computing resources for administrative, academic and personal use. Some Regulations apply only to faculty and staff, who are state employees.
- "Plain English" Summary and Guidance - REG 08.00.02 - Computer Use Regulation
- Antivirus Software Regulation
This regulation mandates the use of approved antivirus software on all Windows and Macintosh computers connected to the NC State network. Approved antivirus software is available at no charge to all NC State students, faculty, and staff. For more information, see NC State Antivirus Resources.
- Copyright Infringement Policy. See also
- Illegal Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Alert, issued by the Chancellor in 2012
- NC State Copyright Infringement site
- OIT Peer-to-Peer (P2P) File-Sharing site.
- Information and Communication Technology Accessibility Regulation
This regulation specifies how NC State will meet its legal obligations to provide university Information and communication echnologies, including Web content, in formats that are accessible to persons with disabilities. For help in complying with this regulation, see Accessible IT @ NC State.
- University Password Standards
This document provides detailed description of rules governing Unity account password strength and password change requirements.
- IT Purchases Requirement
The university requirement to purchase laptop and desktop computer hardware through the Combined Pricing Initiative process became effective November 8, 2010.
Rules and procedures for university computing accounts and other systems and services supported by the Office of Information Technology:
Services for faculty and staff
- Faculty, staff and guest computing accounts
Procedures for account creation and deactivation.
- Unity Email and Calendaring Services
(also called Gmail, gcal or Google Apps)
- ncsu.edu Mail Alias Service
- Mailing List Services
- Unity Locker Rental
Procedures for obtaining additional Unity (AFS) file space
- www4.ncsu.edu services
Rules for personal (unofficial) Web pages created by NC State students, faculty, staff
- Optical Mark Reading Service
- Network Security Regulations
- Network Procedures - Host registration
- Rules for Implementation of Wireless Networks at NC State
Send questions and comments to the NC State Help Desk: firstname.lastname@example.org
Official Policies, Regulations and Rules (PRR) Disclaimer:
This site contains information regarding policies, regulations and rules (PRRs) of North Carolina State University. To the extent of any conflict between the information on this site and the actual policy, regulation or rule, the actual policy, regulation or rule governs. NC State policies, regulations and rules can be found at the PRR Web Site.