Technology Support Services
Director: Susan West
Technology Support Services (TSS) provides a variety of technology support and consulting services for the NC State University campus community. Major areas of support include:
- campus desktop environments
- email, calendaring, and campus Web environments
- enterprise applications
- learning spaces
- student-focused computing
- problem-ticket tracking and IT service management tools through the ServiceNow system.
- Hosted server and application services
Team leader: Chris King, TSS Assistant Director
The NC State Help Desk is the primary point of contact for computing services at NC State. It supports, in coordination with other campus consulting groups, the faculty, staff, and students of NC State in their computing and technology endeavors by focusing on understanding their needs and developing solutions that work for the campus community. The Help Desk is organized as follows:
- Call Center
Supervisor: Noah Genzel
Student workers, supplemented in shifts by full-time staff, handle first-tier intake of phone calls as well as trouble tickets coming in via email or Remedy. Their primary goal is to resolve the majority of concerns that come in to the NC State Help Desk. The staff are trained on handling call escalation to the other support units across campus.
- Support Center
Team leader: Nik Davlantis
This consists of the Help Desk full-time staff, who focus on more difficult support concerns that are escalated to them from the Call Center, doing the necessary research, testing, and other work needed to resolve issues. They also work with other support groups on campus to ensure that customers get the highest level of service possible.
- ITSM Services
Leader: Andrew Barnes
ServiceNow is the call tracking system used by the majority of support organizations on campus to track their incoming problems as well as their ongoing solutions and support.
Team leader: Danny Davis, TSS Assistant Director
Services provided: Desktop, communication tools, desktop software support, support for OIT's managed desktop environment, and support for enterprise and workgroup business software and applications. Desktop and Application Support is composed of the Desktop Technical Team and the Desktop Support Team.
Manager: Dan Evans
- Developing policies and technologies used in our managed workstation environment.
- Application packaging, testing, and support
- Group Policy object (GPO) and Organizational Unit (OU) development
- Implementation, Training, and policy development for desktop management tools
- Systematic troubleshooting (3rd Tier Support) for desktop environment
- Image and install script development and testing (Windows and Macintosh environments)
- Documentation and training
- Development of website content and maintenance of Web presence
- Interface between desktop support and systems groups
- Planning for desktop migration to Active Directory
- Desktop email and messaging service integration and support for campus
Manager: Danny Davis
- Service Level Agreement (SLA) implementation: Ensuring that
- support service meets or exceeds the SLA.
- support tiers are functioning properly and addressing support issues as they arise.
- Application delivery
- Installation support for SAS and mobile devices
- Desktop Group Policy object (GPO) implementation and support
- Identifying policy, application, and desktop environment needs
- Interface between end-users and desktop development team with regards to desktop environmental requirements
- Interface with Help Desk staff to ensure that customers are receiving appropriate support and calls are being escalated appropriately.
- Hardware and on-site support for Extended and Premium support customers
Contact: Danny Davis
Hosted Services assists North Carolina State University departments and colleges in managing their departmental application servers, hosting them in a secure IT environment. Please see the Hosted Services page for service details.
Learning Space Support
Team leader: David Ladrie, TSS Assistant Director
Services provided: Audiovisual (AV) design & integration, support for technology in classrooms and learning spaces, support for student computing facilities, support for student computing in university residence halls, and support for student-owned workstations.
- ClassTech supports the use of classroom technologies in learning spaces across campus.
- AV technology design and integration services.
- ResNet provides and supports Internet access for students living in N.C. State University residence halls and in Greek Court.
- Unity Computer Lab Support maintains 315 workstations located in nine Unity Labs and four Training Labs.
- The Walk-in Center provides technology and media services support for student-owned computers, computing accounts, ResNet connections, cable TV, phone services, and more.