Commonly Requested Software
Listed below are some commonly requested software packages for students.
- Antivirus software
- NC State has licensed Trend Micro's OfficeScan product for use by faculty, staff, and students. (download here).
- If you have a problem with Trend Micro, Microsoft offers its own antivirus software called Security Essentials that has performed very well compared to other antivirus software available for purchase on the market.
- The NC State Bookstore offers Microsoft Office 2010 (for Windows) and Office 2011 (for Mac) with an electronic download. You will also have the option to purchase backup CDs for an extra cost. The Bookstore has the best price on Office software, as these versions of Office normally retail for $200-500.
- Windows 7 can be purchased via Microsoft's Ultimate Steal website. You can get Windows 7 Professional for $29.99 (as of 7/26/2011). This is the best price you'll find anywhere on Windows 7, as the normal student price is $80-100 and the retail price is $200.
- Firefox is an alternative to Internet Explorer, and it can be downloaded for free.
Other software packages commonly requested include Maple, Matlab, and Solidworks. Depending on what major/college/courses you are enrolled in, you may have access to these software packages at a discount or for free. Check the NCSU software page and the EOS software download site for information about other software packages.
Viruses and Spyware
Viruses and spyware can infect your computer through various methods. The one of the most common ways you can get infected is through outdated plugins. Make sure you're running the latest versions of Flash and Java at the links below.
Also, make sure your antivirus software is up to date! Many new computers come with a short free trial of antivirus software. Once the trial expires, it stops updating, making your computer vulnerable to the hundreds of new viruses discovered every day. See the antivirus software section above for information about free antivirus software you can install on your computer.