If your connection is not working, try the following in the given order before contacting ResNet. If you can resolve your problem yourself, you'll be back online faster!
Reboot your computer
- If rebooting doesn't work, shut down your computer completely, wait 60 seconds and turn it back on.
Turn off your wireless
- To make sure that your computer is only using the wired connection, turn off your wireless. You cannot have an active wired and wireless connection running simultaneously.
Check your ethernet cable
- Make sure your ethernet cable is plugged in securely to both the data jack and the ethernet adapter on your computer. It is a good idea to unplug it at both ends and then plug it back in.
- Try your cable on your friend's or roommate's computer that has a ResNet connection.
If the connection doesn't work, then you probably need a new cable.
If the connection works, then you don't need a new cable.
- Try your friend's or roommate's cable on your computer. If it works, you need to get a new cable.
Test your data jack (if possible)
- Plug your computer into a different data jack if you have one.
To determine which jack on the outlet is active, see data outlets.
If the connection works, then the problem is with the jack. Contact ResNet to have it repaired.
- Plug a different computer into the same data jack. If it works, then the problem is not the jack.
Release and renew your IP address
- Follow directions on IPconfig in Windows.
If you're still having problems
- Contact ResNet.
- If you send an email, include the troubleshooting steps you've already taken.