Note: This information is being reviewed and updated
Description of service
An email alias provides an easy-to-remember alternative email address that in turn points to the real physical address where people read their email. If the actual email address changes, the alias can be updated to point to the new address.
Email alias format
A personal mail alias should be representative of your name. The naming convention at NC State for an email alias is:
when this does not conflict with an existing alias. These additional variations:
may be considered if they do not cause conflicts. Aliases that do not conform to this convention may still be created if they meet both of the following criteria:
- Are based on your real name
- Have more than eight (8) characters or contain an underscore.
Groups eligible for service
NC State faculty, staff, graduate students, and organizations
Type of use
University-related business or personal use (as restricted by University Policies and Regulations)
Duration of service
- Individual - valid as long as account is active or until discontinued by the account holder
- Organization - must be renewed annually
To obtain service
Send a message to email@example.com with the following information:
- preferred alias in the format: firstname.lastname@example.org
- your Unity email address: email@example.com
- your campus department or unit
You will receive confirmation by email, usually within a few hours.
Rules of Use
Additional procedures and restrictions
For an email address for two or more people, see Mailing List services.