Cable Service Troubleshooting
Note: NC State University's cable television system is "closed." Consequently, signal leakage can be caused by any break in the wire. Such breaks can result from many factors, including improper installation, substandard equipment, faulty wiring, and loose connectors. Please ensure that:
- Your TV is connected to the wall outlet with a good quality cable.
- All connections are properly tightened.
When properly tightened, the rear part of the connector should not be moveable.
Cable Television Help
- No reception
- Receiving only certain channels
- Channels you can receive without cable
- For problems with Road Runner at E. S. King Village, go to the Time Warner page.
- When you've tried everything else
- Make sure you have signed up for cable service. Certain situations require students to sign up for services at the beginning of each semester/session. You can sign up at Cable Television. Allow 1-3 business days for the process to complete.
- Check the wire connecting the television to the cable jack.
- Is it loose?
- Is it securely connected at both ends?
- Borrow a wire from a friend's room and try it. If it works, then you need to replace your wire.
- (Most common solution) Make sure that your television is programmed for cable and not aerial antenna:
- Open your setup menu (accessible on most TVs through the remote control).
- Make sure that your antenna choice reads CABLE.
- Auto program your channels.
You should now be able to view the rest of the channels.
TV reception with a regular antenna will depend on these two factors:
- location of your building
- location of your antenna within the building
In general, the higher you are in a building (less interference from trees and other buildings) and the closer to a window, the better your reception.
Below is a table of the channels that you may be able to receive without cable, listed by channel number, call letters, network, and location. An asterisk (*) indicates a channel that is not currently available on NC State Cable.
|04 WUNC||PBS||Chapel Hill|
|08 WGHP*||FOX||High Point|
|12 WCTI*||ABC||New Bern|
Contact Student and Media Services:
- By phone (best method). While you are at your television to troubleshoot, call 919.515.7099, option 1, during business hours (8AM-8PM Monday-Thursday; 8AM-5PM Friday).
- By email to Student and Media Services, making sure to include your:
- residence hall
- room number
- phone number
- specific description of the problem
- actions already taken in trying to fix it.