**WOLFTV IS AN ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM, DELIVERING CHANNELS DIGITALLY AND IN HIGH DEFINITION. IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING ANY CHANNELS USE THE AUTO-SCAN OR PROGRAM FEATURE ON YOUR TELEVISION. THIS PROCESS CAN TAKE UP TO 20 MINUTES BUT, WHEN YOU'RE DONE, YOU SHOULD SEE ALL OF THE NEW CHANNELS.**
1. I returned from holiday and am only getting static.
Auto-scan your television to find all of the channels. Your television is looking for our old analog lineup and, while a few of our channels are still analog, the vast majority are digital and are in a different place. Auto-scanning can be done through your television menu and can take up to 20 minutes to complete. If you have problems with this process call us at 515 HELP when you're by the television.
2. I've auto-scanned the channels and I still don't have a signal.
Older televisions, such as a box-shaped CRT or an older flat screen, will not work with the new WolfTV. The television needs a digital tuner in order to receive the digital channels. You have two options. 1. Replace the television. 2. Purchase a CLEAR-QAM digital tuner converter box that works with an analog television. WolfTV only supports signal to the outlet. We do not support televisions/converter boxes/personal equipment. That said, here are links to a few CLEAR-QAM converters: Channel Master CM7001, P/N DCT 210, Channel Master 7001, iView 3500 STB II. If you purchase the iView 3500 you will need to run the firmware update and follow these instructions. Again, WolfTV does not support or recommend particular boxes. Other boxes may work just as well. Local stores, including Best Buy, Kmart and Roses are within five miles of the university.
- Check the cable connecting the television to the data outlet (see diagrams of the data outlets).
- Make sure that you have a good quality cable.
- Make sure each cable connector is properly tightened (the rear part of the connector should not be moveable).
- Borrow a working cable from a friend's room and try it. If it works, then you need to replace your cable.
3. How do I get WolfTV?
Go to go.ncsu.edu/wolftv and click "Get WolfTV." Service takes 1-3 business days to become active.
4. I'm only receiving certain channels.
There are two potential problems here. The most common solution is to make sure that your television is programmed for cable and not aerial antenna:
- Open your setup menu (accessible on most TVs through the remote control).
- Make sure that your antenna choice reads CABLE.
- Auto program your channels.
You should now be able to view the rest of the channels.
If you've done that, and are still only receiving a few channels (such as 2, 21, 23, 32) your television is not capable of receiving digital channels.
5. The channels are blocky, pixellated or freeze.
Our technicians have not had the opportunity to visit every floor of every building to check the signal level of the new system. These symptoms are indicative of a signal level issue and need to be reported to OIT staff. See below on how to contact us.
6. Are the channels in high-definition?
Yes, the vast majority of the channels are transmitted in high-definition. There are still a few analog channels on the lineup.
7. Can I watch WolfTV on my computer?
If your computer has a built-in digital television tuner, yes. OIT is exploring ways to potentially offer a streaming component to the WolfTV service as part of phase two.
8. Why do I need to type a . or - between channel numbers?
Due to the technology differences between analog and digital television, multiple digital channels can fit within one channel. This is similar to radio channels, which also use decimals.
9. Is WolfTV more expensive?
No. WolfTV cost the same as the old cable service.
10. How do I get help?
Phone (best method): While you are at your television to troubleshoot, call 919 515 HELP during business hours (8AM-5PM, Monday - Friday).
Email to the Help Desk, making sure to include your:
- residence hall
- room number
- phone number
- specific description of the problem
- actions already taken in trying to fix it.
We've also created a quick and easy form that you can fill out if you're experiencing a minor problem that you don't think is in need of a Help Desk contact. You can access that form by going to go.ncsu.edu/wolftvhelp.