MacTech Group Agenda
October 13, 2009
2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.3 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2008
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode on either ppc or intel hardware at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site http://oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the LDAPv3 configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- All OIT distributed Symantec Antivirus software should have been removed by June 22, 2009 to remain in license compliance.
- OIT will only support Apple branded, Intel, Macintosh hardware for Unity Macintosh kits after Dec. 31, 2009.
2) Fall 2008 Unity Macintosh Lab Kit Available and Known Issues – 10 min.
Short list of Known Issues:
MatLab 2008a should be removed, Admin Users must cancel kerberos dialogs, PPC must replace Matlab, PPC must install VPython 2.6 libs for VIDLE to work, some reports of Adobe CS4 products quitting on launch – no resolution but reboot machine seems to help, reports of Adobe license error dialogs on launch of CS4 products – Thanks to Scott Lennon see Adobe Support Site: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405970.html, still some reports of printing issues related to users not authenticating and jobs going on hold in the local CUPS queues – push queue clears frequently with ARD to work around. Confirmed issue with “ghost” Menu Extra Items with no resolution. The work around is to add the menu items back and manage preferences for dislpay. Other issues? Discussion.
3) New Apple Education Licensing Program – 45 min.
Apple has introduced a new license program to replace the current AMP volume license program. OIT is in discussion and preparing for the negotiation for a new contract for Sept 30, 2010. See hand out on AELP FAQ from http://www.apple.com/education/licensingprogram/faq.html. Costs looks to be about $30 per year with only the Collection of MacOS X, iLife, and iWork available. OIT will not convert the current license to the Collection but simply move to the new agreement when the current AMP is up for renewal. Discussion.
4) Apple Remote Desktop and other software AELP Bulk Buys – 10 min.
With the new AELP program we have a chance to get significant discounts on bulk buys of many Apple software products and maintenance. OIT is interested in a bulk purchase of ARD at the 25 seat rate of $100 per seat. Who is interested? Also what other products are folks interested in a bulk purchase of? Discussion
5) WolfTech Group Issue Update – 10 min.
Progress has been made on the WolfTech AD issue where directory services group membership check api’s return incorrect information. We have sucessfully been able put machines into groups with privilages that allow the group membership to resolve correctly. The WolfTech Technical group has a plan to automate this proceedure and is working through the approval process to go into production. The technical team is also looking at the base schema extensions to AD for machine management using Apple Workgroup Manager. Discussion
7) Bulk Buy Possible- 10 min.
There are two units making large purchases this month for a potential of .
8) Needs for Spring 2010 Kit– 10 min
Round the room check for software needs for the Spring lab kit.
8) Apple Hardware and Software Updates and Futures – 10 min
Discussion on recent and possible hardware and software updates.
8) Q&A – 5 min
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tuesday. Nov 10, 2009 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan. 13, Feb. 10, Mar. 10, Apr. 14, May. 12, Jun. 9, Aug. 11, Sep. 8, Oct. 13, Nov. 10, Dec.8
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 13, Mar. 10, May. 12, Aug 11, Sep. 8, Nov. 10.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.