MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Note: 14 members present.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware are supported for Unity Macintosh kits.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC CAUSE November 8-10, 2010 Hilton Riverside Wilmington, NC. unccause.org
Note: November MacPolicy and MacTech will be moved to Nov 16th due to UNC CAUSE.
2) Mac OS X VLA becomes Macintosh Collection AELP – 15 min.
The current Mac OS X Volume License agreement in place ends September 30, 2010 for NC State. Te VLA is now replaced by Apple with an annual program called the Apple Educational Licensing Program for the Mac Software Collection. The collection includes MacOS X, iLife, and iWork and 1 year maintenance for all 3 products. Based on the Fall 2009 survey OIT intends to do cost recovery for the 2,200 machines managed by MacPolicy/Tech at about $60,494 or about $28 per seat. This is about $1 cheaper than the current price of Mac OS X education license alone. These are perpetual licenses and one year maintenance. Discussion.
3) New Apple Hardware Updates- 10 min.
Apple released a new hardware this month. Specs. Discussion.
4) Casper Suite Test Server for Evaluation – 20 min.
There has been interest in evaluation of the full Casper Suite as best of breed tool for managing Macintosh computers. OIT has obtained at temperary evaluation license for the product and put up a tempary, test server at . The evaluation license expires September 15, 2010. Please email Everette_Allen for access. See handout for feature set. This would be able to deliver software, do both software and hardware inventory, manage MCX preferences, and effect policies based on directory groups and lots more. OIT has a quote for 2,000 seats for about $54k or about $26 per seat. Demo. Discussion.
NOTES: Some groups were interested in going ahead and contributing a bulk purchase of Casper Suite. Everette asked everyone to use the evalution server before we make any formal proposal.
4) Tech Short: Using Capser Imaging Service – 60 min.
The testing of the Casper Imaging server by Design, Math, and Education has brought forward the need for some more info and training on using the OIT Image. Demo of using Casper Imaging Configurations and Prestages, how AD binding works, how AFS is supported in the kit, how dslocal MCX management is used and some tips and tricks. Discussion.
5) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
NOTES: VPN and ARD Managment Traffic issues what is the deal? Everette explained issues with ARD Managment port traffic and the vpn/firewall equipment. Cautioned against using VPN unless it is inside a tunnel even with the vpn. Suggested that folks reduce traffic by using Screen Sharing to an on campus computer then run ARD from the computer on campus. Discussed the preference in ARD Security to allow ARD to run when the machine is being controlled.
Next meeting – Tue. Sep 14, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan 19, Feb 19, Mar 9, Apr 13, May 11, *Jun 15, Aug 10, Sep 14, Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 14
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 19, Mar. 9, May. 11, Aug 10, Sep. 14, Nov. 9.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Building unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.