MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. New managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware by OIT for all software and hardware. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Server Beta
- Jump Start Training for Casper Suite on Feb. 8 & 9, 2011 Location: Rm 106 Avent Ferry Technology Center. Class is FULL
- February 2011 MacTech is canceled due to Casper Jump Start training.
2) Apple Software, AELP, MacOSX Server bulk, ARD bulk Update – 5 min.
AELP – Mac Software Collection: Media are here. Disk images are available on the Media share. Several folks have paid for DVD media but not picked them up. Please contact Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu to arrange pickup ASAP.
AELP – Mac Software Collection: about 280 licenses are still available at $28.50. Contact Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu
AELP – Bulk purchases: OS X server and ARD are renewed. License numbers have been distributed to everyone.
Change numbers for audit compliance!! Discussion.
3) UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) program for IT purchases Update – 5 min.
The CPI documentation is at http://oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases. At this time continue to purchase Apple hardware via Market Place as usual. Negotiations are on going at GA with Apple and seem to be making some progress. Discussion.
4) Move to Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – 5 min.
OIT made Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh managed antivirus available as the supported antivirus software over the Winter Break 2010. This antivirus software is compatible with Snow Leopard. Discussion.
5) Spring 2011 Unity Lab Kit Update and Issues – 30 min.
oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh/macintosh-lab-kits Known issues. Any additional issues. Discussion.
6) Casper Full Suite Purchase Complete – 10 min.
OIT has purchased 2001 seats of the full Casper Suite for use on campus. Both the initial and 2nd order are complete and no other orders are planned until renewal next year. OIT contributed the initial purchase cost and setup cost. The beta server is in place. There is no commitment from OIT management to cover any cost for the additional seats. The total per seat cost is $26.40 to add seats in the 2nd year starting Nov. 30, 2011. Discussion.
7) Tech Short: Casper Suite Self Service – 45 min.
Everette Allen will provide an introduction to how to use the Casper Suite Self Service. Discussion.
8) Q&A – 15 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Mar. 8, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
NOTE: No Feb. 2011 MacTech Meeting Due to Casper Jump Start Training.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month 2011: Jan 25, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2011: Jan 25, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2011.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.