MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Server Beta
2) 3rd Casper Suite License Purchase for Mac OS or iOS – 10 min.
OIT has purchased 2001 seats of the full Casper Suite for use on campus. Both the initial and 2nd order are complete and a 3rd bulk buy is needed. OIT contributed the initial purchase cost and setup cost of the first buy but funds are no longer available to supplement purchases. There is no commitment from OIT management to cover any cost for the additional seats. The total per seat cost for Mac OS clients is $26.40 to add seats in the 2nd year starting Nov. 30, 2011. The cost to add iOS seats is $22.50($13.50 license w/ $9.00 maint.) Please contact Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu by March 11, 2011 to purchase. Discussion.
3) Resources and Rules for the sharing the Casper Server – 15 min.
There is a new page for Casper Suite Beta Server at oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh/casper-suite-nc-state. Review of the use and discussion.
4) Proposal for certifying packages for sharing. – 30min.
Proposal for approval of software packaged for Casper. Discussion.
5) North Carolina Casper User’s Group (NCCUG) -10 min.
Much interest in forming a UNC wide Casper Users group at UNC CAUSE 2010. Is there interest in quarterly user group meetings on Casper? Virtual group with email, web and IM resources coupled with quarterly video conference meetings and a yearly face to face meeting at UNC CAUSE have been suggested. Discussion.
6) Hardware Updates iPad 2 and MacBook – 30 min.
Quick review of recent changes to iPad and MacBook with details on Thunderbolt. Discussion.
7) Q&A – 15 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. April 12, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
NOTE: No Feb. 2011 MacTech Meeting Due to Casper Jump Start Training.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month 2011: Jan 25, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2011: Jan 25, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2011.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.