MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
2:30 to 4:30 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- OIT will support only version 10.6.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2012
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx2.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
- Casper Suite Enterprise Deployment Update – 45 min
The update to enterprise service is complete. Now have 2 VM-based, load balanced servers in 2 physically different data centers. The database is on the clustered mysql2 service like all other enterprise mysql based services. There are 2 load balanced Distribution servers and 3 netboot servers. Other distribution and netboot servers can be added via simple configuration. JAMFSoftware has just released a netboot/distribution/ASU server as a VM Appliance based on Ubuntu (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=180) we are testing at this to see if we can add more redundant netboot and distribution servers. The test VMware machine has been setup and we are moving to test.
SCCM Bridge – Everette worked with Michael Underwood on the SCCM team to setup a test of the JAMF Casper to SCCM bridge. Found that it will not save data into SCCM where the AD is full Native Mode. Waiting on fix from vendor. Discussion
3) Lion Issues: 10.7.3 Combo Updater – 10 min.
Several issues with 10.7.3 update from software update. One of only 2 times ever seen a software update cause issues. Any problems seen after this update download the 10.7.3 client combo update from:
We have seen this fix issues with iChat, Apple Mail, and iCal. Discussion
4) iPad Hardware Updates- 30 min.
New iPad hardware from Apple. http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
Also new basic MDM software – http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator/id434433123?mt=12
Use to create profiles for delivery by Casper Suite as well as mass configuration and “re-image” of devices.
5) Software Needs Summer 2012 and Fall 2012- 10 min.
Feed back on software needed for Summer or Fall semesters? Round the room and Discussion.
6) Rumors – 5 min. iPad3, MacPro, 15″ Air
7) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Apr. 10, 2012 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.