MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
2:30 to 4:00 pm Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) Xprotect , Java 1.6/1.7, and Flash- 20 min.
OIT has been updated all OIT Unity Labs with Oracle Java 1.7.0_13. Apple Xprotect is allowing only: Java Plug-in version 126.96.36.199 or newer and Adobe Flash Plug-in version 11.5.502.149 or newer. Check the Xprotect keys in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist using either the defaults or PlistBudy commands. The latest vender releases are: Java 188.8.131.52 and Flash 11.5.502.149. Note that Java plug-in should still be disabled in all web browsers unless in use. Also Xprotect does not update on a set schedule an may disable any plug-in version at any time. PaperCut Client app and Cisco VPN both use java but are applications that do not appear to use web start or the web browser plug-in after installation. Use https://browsercheck.qualys.com to check for needed updates in all plug-ins. Note that Chrome may have it’s own embedded versions of these plug-ins so make sure to check separately. Also note that while Mac OS X 10.6.x has a Apple Software Update to 1.6.0_39 there has not been a java 1.6 update for 10.7/8 and they remain at 1.6.0_37 which is NOT removed when Oracle Java 1.7 is installed. Removing java 1.6 with rm or a clean install of 10.7/8 and running a java 1.6 app will result in Apple SWU reinstalling java 1.6.0_37. Everette has provided Apple with feed back that either a) Apple SWU should install 1.6.0_39 or redirect to Oracle 1.7 install page. Discussion.
3) AutoCAD 2013 for OS X now on Campus License – 10 min
OIT has was able to add AutoCAD 2013 for OS X to our campus license. The installer is an Apple PKG. Everette is trying to get it into Casper for Summer 1 -2013. Discussion.
4) Casper Extension Attribute for 1T HD issue – Rick J.- 10 min.
Rick will talk about the Casper Extension Attribute he created to test for this recall issue. The attribute is named “Eligible 1TB HD replacement”. Discussion
5) Note on new Brigadier tool 5 min.
6) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Mar 12, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.