MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
2:30 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin
2) Xprotect , Java 1.6/1.7, and Flash AGAIN- 5 min.
OIT has again updated all OIT Unity Labs with Oracle Java 1.7.0_17. Apple Xprotect is now allowing only: Java Plug-in version 1.7.15.04 or newer and Adobe Flash Plug-in version 11.6.602.171 or newer. And it goes On and On and On… Discussion.
3) AntiVirus Issues Follow Up – 10 min
OIT continues to see ongoing issues with the current versions of Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh. Please remind users upgrading to OS X 10.8 to REMOVE Trend before the install using these instructions:
oit.ncsu.edu/antivirus/install-macosx#uninstall Note that many users will have to use the manual uninstall process with the terminal. Failure to remove trend before upgrading to 108 will cause looping of kernel panic at startup which is a well known issue. OIT reported a significant outage of central antivirus servers for OS X clients in sysnews at:
sysnews.ncsu.edu/news/5127e3cc The service team for Antivirus is now formed and will be looking at this issue. Discussion.
4) Issues with SP2013 Unity Lab Workflows (JMP license, etc)- 15 min.
Known issues with SP2013 Unity Lab Workflows.
(1) Microsoft office – Asking for contact/personal information upon application launch. (Word, Excel, PP,etc)
(2) Software update notification showing upon non admin user login.
(3) Fugu – Cannot open .. Unidentified developer.
(4) Text Wrangler – Registration and helper tool install request.
(5) MatLab – Requesting the install of X11.
(6) iPhoto – Could not open.
(7) SAS JMP – License expired notification. (Update: DMG install available in Casper)
(8) Bibdesk – Requesting update installation.
(9) Turning Point Anywhere – Unidentified developer.
5) Needs for Fall 2013 Software- 15 min.
Round the room request for new software, changes in workflows, and other needs related to software on OS X for Fall 2013. OIT is working towards having the final Casper workflow for fall 2013 finalized by July 1, 2013 to allow for testing in units.
6) AirPrint Demo- 15 min.
Demo of AirPrint on OS X and iOS with WolfPrint. Discussion
7) Q&A – 10 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Apr 9, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.