MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
2:30 to 4:30 pm — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.7.5 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2013
- OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- *Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration with a local home on each machine
- Modified Unity Macintosh Installs are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://swm.oit.ncsu.edu:8443/ (Admin: go.ncsu.edu/casper)
- JNUC Oct 14-18, 2013 Everette will attend
- UNC CAUSE is November 18-20, 2013 – unccause.org/2013/
2) UNC System Agreement – JAMF Software Casper Suite – 30 min.
NC State OIT is involved with ASU IT in initiating the request for UNC GA and JAMF Software to create the UNC System Agreement for JAMF Software Casper Suite. This license request was initiated to help NC State drive down the cost, increase reliability and increase security of our Casper Suite Enterprise service. Cost: The price of the yearly maintenance for Casper will go up this year regardless of how we license the service. In 12/13 year we paid OSX $10 and iOS $9 per seat at volume of about 3200 seats. The quote we got is that the costs for 13/14 would increase to iOS $10 and OSX $12 per seat at our current tier. The next tier price break is at 5,000. This on-our-own pricing is only good for 1 year and could reasonably be expected to increase in following years at a time when our budgets are expected to decrease 3% annually. In the on-your-own license we also provide our own equipment, network, maintenance, security, database, etc. The UNC System agreement allows us to lock our pricing for 3 years, take advantage of combined purchase power and reduce our cost of keeping up servers. As Stan Martin has mentioned, Dr. Hoit has agreed for OIT to provide on-going supplemental funding to decrease the per seat cost to campus units because of the cost savings OIT would realize by using a hosted system. OIT intends make the cost we bill each campus unit $11.64 OSX and $9.28 iOS per seat 2013-2016 if we can use the UNC System Wide license. Note that there is the requirement: This price would be good for 3 years as long as UNC maintains a level of 8500 devices or more. Discussion.
3) Demo of Hosted Casper Suite 9.11 – 15 min
Update of how new sites feature works in Casper 9.11 from hosted system. Discussion.
4) Managing Apple TV’s for wireless displays with MDM- 15 min
Explanation of new MDM for Apple TV and the potential to help deploy wireless displays in class rooms using AirPlay and AirParrot. Discussion
5) New Apple Hardware iMac Updates – 20 min
Review of the new iMac refresh and changes. Discussion
6) Q&A – 15 min. You ask we try to answer
Next meeting – Nov 12, 2013 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July. All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.