This year, get two steps ahead of cyber attackers by activating Google’s 2-Step Verification on your Google Apps @ NC State accounts.
With 2-Step Verification, you will log in not only with your password, but also with an additional security code that is delivered via text, call or mobile app. You can also print a list of security codes. So, even if your account is compromised, the bad guys cannot get into it without also having the additional security code. To get started:
- Visit Signing In with 2-step verification.
- Select Start Set Up.
- Enter your mobile phone number or landline where you would like to receive a security code.
- Select the text message (SMS) or the voice call option for receiving the code.
- Enter the code you received via text or voice call and select verify.
- Decide if you would like to trust the computer you are currently on to access your account. Uncheck the “Trust this computer” box if you are using a public machine.
- Select Confirm to activate 2-Step.
Once 2-Step is activated, you should enter at least one backup phone number and print backup codes in case the primary device or number changes. The Google Authenticator app is also available to generate security codes on your mobile device. For additional information, see 2-step verification.