MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports OS X10.9.5-10.11.6 and macOS 10.12 or newer
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales Rep: Paul Petrogeorgefirstname.lastname@example.org & System Eng: Francis Shepherdemail@example.com
- macOS and OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- Kaspersky Endpoint Protection for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Antivirus for campus.
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval. Must login monthly to keep!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://nc.jamfcloud.com/ and go.ncsu.edu/casperinfo for details
- UNC CAUSE – Oct 5-7, 2016 Everette will attend
- JAMF National Users Conference (JNUC) October 18-20, 2016 Everette will attend
2) Training Needs??- 5 min
- Secure Your iOS Devices (iPhone and iPad) – Wednesday, October 19, 2016 (12:00 PM – 01:00 PM)
- OIT-Managing OS X with Casper Suite – TBA
- OIT-Casper Best Practices for Packagers – TBA
- OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Casper – TBA
- CrashPlan for Organization Administrators Training Class – TBA
3) Service Updates- 15 min
Casper – Update to 9.93 Sep 14, 2016 1800-2359. Moving to 9.96 Sep 21, 2016 1800-2359 unless issues found . JCDS will be re-enable Sep 26, 2016 and we will begin large package sync. Hoping to move to JCDS master in Nov 2016 after QA for production stability with large numbers of packages. Many of issues we have been seeing are fixed in 9.96 see
https://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/casper-suite-release-notes/. Also new status page for jamfcloud.com services see
CrashPlan -Upgrade to server 5.3 is complete. Some clients upgraded to 5.3. Automatic update has not been turned on because we need to move to 5.x clients (ie native client) only (still many 4.x). Working with some departments on testing and having good luck. Hoping to move to all native client in Oct 2016. “Deferred” login should work for automatic addition of new users in the next release (~5.4)of the installers.
NetInstall – Still 10.11.3 due to netinstall issues with .4/.5 (nuke.nbi & sh). Moving to macOS 10.12 before Oct 1, 2016
AutoPKGR – no new packages. Planning move to Casper Patching as it is available.
Kaspersky – No changes or updates. Outstanding issues still remain.
DEP/VPP/Apple School – still working on finding legacy VPP accounts and how to update so we can move to Apple School. Apple School will also include iTunesU support. Hope to move all to Apple School in Nov 2016 and look at institutional Apple ID program to see if we can make use of it. Likely id format <unityid>@appleschool.ncsu.edu.
4) EndPoint Protection – 10 min
The Standard for EPP is moving to approval with changes from CAS, MacTech, and other groups. No implementation software has been identified. Some discussion of MS Endpoint Protection for Mac, S&C has not approved for macOS due to no central logging and no web protection but does meet the heuristic and file scanning requirements for standard. Question about using as alternative when Kaspersky is unusable is not answered. Packages and extension attributes already in Casper for MS Endpoint Protection for Mac. Discussion.
5) New Apple Hardware Recap -15 min
Watches and iPhones. Discussion
6) OS upgrades soon- 30 min
iOS 10 available today Sep 13, 2016. Some support already in Casper, more after 9.93 and full support with 9.96. More configuration options for DEP devices and new profiles http://www.apple.com/ios/ios-10/.
macOS 10.12 available Sep 20, 2016. Full support in Casper 9.96. http://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/ Discussion
7) Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. Oct 11, 2016 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will not meet in July. Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.