MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
2:30 to 4:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports OS X10.9.5-10.11.6 and macOS 10.12 or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales Rep: Paul Petrogeorgeemail@example.com & System Eng: Francis Shepherdfirstname.lastname@example.org
- macOS and OS X versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752?viewlocale=en_US
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- Antivirus for campus – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval. Must login monthly to keep!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi
- Casper Suite Enterprise service https://nc.jamfcloud.com/ and go.ncsu.edu/casperinfo for details
2) Training Needs??- 5 min
- Secure Your iOS Devices (iPhone and iPad) – TBA
- OIT-Managing OS X with Casper Suite – Request
- OIT-Casper Best Practices for Packagers – Request
- OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Casper – Request
3) Service Updates- 20 min
Casper – JCDS available with specific packages. Slowly syncing most packages ever Dec 2016 and Jan 2017. Hoping to move to JCDS master after 9.97 release if stable with large packages, otherwise will be after 10.0. Please do not use the patch management yet! Issues for Patch Management will be fixed with version 10.0. Casper Suite will be renamed as Jamf Pro with version 10.
CrashPlan -Upgrading to server 5.4 before Jan 15, 2016.
NetInstall – nuke.nbi/sh is macOS 10.12.1. 10.11.3 set (nuke10113.nbi & sh). are still available if needed.
AutoPKGR – no new packages. Planning move to Casper Patching with version 10. Issue with macOS 10.12 compatibility still.
Antivirus -Kaspersky contract will not be renewed when expires ~ end of Feb 2017. No antivirus for non-university devices.
DEP/VPP/Apple School – still waiting to update to Apple School.
4) Antivirus Changes- 10 min
Kaspersky contract will not be renewed when it expires ~ end of Feb 2017. OIT will no longer provide an anti-virus package for non-university owned devices. Details on Kaspersky replacement will be released soon. University owned, macOS devices will be able to run System Center Endpoint Protection . The current macOS SCEP version126.96.36.199. For devices under management in Casper Suite(Jamf Pro) a test package is available: NCSU-Campus-System Center Endpoint Protection for macOS Installer.pkg (nc.jamfcloud.com/packages.html?id=3853&o=r). For non- university owned devices use a currently approved package from www.av-comparatives.org/av-vendors-mac/ (free ones with 2016 or newer approval) – Discussion.
5) New Standard for Endpoint Protection- 20 min
Everette is working on a practical document to help macOS deployments meet the standard coming for endpoint protection. Will need folks to help review in Jan 2017. The document will cover standard operating procedure for Authentication, Host-based firewall, Network Encryption, Web reputation scanning, File Integrity Monitoring, Full Disk Encryption, Anti-malware, Antivirus, Inventory, and Application Control. If interested in commenting request access from
6) Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacTech – Tue. Jan 10, 2017 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will not meet in July. Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.