MacTech Groups Agenda
Tuesday, Oct 9, 2018
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Announcements – 5 min
- OIT only supports OS X 10.11.6 and macOS 10.13.x or newer
- Status page for jamfcloud.com services see http://status.jamfsoftware.com
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Slack group ncstateit.slack.com #macintosh
- Apple Sales: Paul Petrogeorgefirstname.lastname@example.org & Sys Eng: Dave Andersenemail@example.com
- macOS versions that shipped with Intel Hardware: support.apple.com/kb/HT1159
- Vintage and Obsolete Apple Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage.
- Antivirus for university owned devices – go.ncsu.edu/antivirus
- Unity Macintosh Workflow uses Active Directory configuration with local home directory at /Users/$uid$
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Authorized NC State personnel wanting to get training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should request invitation by opening a help desk ticket at firstname.lastname@example.org Must login to GSX monthly!!
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) oit.ncsu.edu/campus-it/it-purchasing/unc-combined-pricing-initiative-cpi-program-at-nc-state/
- JAMF Pro Enterprise service go.ncsu.edu/jamf, go.ncsu.edu/jamfinfo and go.ncsu.edu/uwc for details
- JNUC 2018 – Oct 23-25 Everette will attend. Joey J will present (1:30 Oct 24, https://www.jamf.com/events/jamf-nation-user-conference/2018/sessions/#session-6DF9654B-9E49-4589-8755-DDDB3CB17601-details)
Training Needs – 5 min
OIT-iOS Mobile Security – Oct 17, 2018 reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-iOSMob-Security&deptName=OIT
OIT-Managing OS X with Jamf Pro – Request reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro01-JPro01&deptName=OIT
OIT-Jamf Pro Best Practices for Packagers – Nov 29, 2018 – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro03-JPro03&deptName=OIT
OIT-Advanced OS X Management with Jamf Pro – Oct 16, 2018 reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-JPro02-JPro02&deptName=OIT
CrashPlan for Sub-Org Administrators – Request – reporter.ncsu.edu/link/courseview?courseID=OIT-CPlan1-CPlan1&deptName=OIT
Local Based Commercial Training – training.computertree.com/course/
JAMF Pro Training – www.jamf.com/training/
Service Updates – 10 min
Jamf Pro – V 10.7.21 running in production
nccloudtest.jamfcloud.com running 10.7.1 for testing PLEASE TEST!
Following up on 2 issues with JAMF in next few weeks 1) Policy listing slowness (normal and patch) and 2) Sync to local FSDP
Service Now Discovery Plugin for JAMF Pro still working on sync issues with only NCSU sites.
CommunityPatch server is changing to 2.x version and patches will be per creator not all on server
CrashPlan – running 6.5.2 in production. Changing to fully hosted model with SSO over next year but still working on plan. Will require a new full backup and a new client install (not automatic).
Internet Recovery – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 Command-Option-R to install latest version for hardware or Command-R to install currently installed version. Have been seeing issues when 10.14 was released with failures on Command-Option-R.
AutoPKGR – Beta support for JCDS is on github. Waiting for release to implement
AntiMalware/Virus – MSSCEP 220.127.116.11 is available for university owned macOS devices.
NCSU-Campus-MSSCEP-Mac_18.104.22.168.pkg — https://nc.jamfcloud.com/packages.html?id=5536
Sensitive Data Discovery – NCSU-Campus-SpirionIdentityFinder1054.pkg
OIT Security and Compliance would like for this to be installed on All managed devices as soon as possible.
Apple School Manager – All VPP and MDM are handled in ASM with managed Apple Id’s of from <unityid>@appleid.ncsu.edu. school.apple.com
macOS AD Auth Issues – 5 min
OIT is STILL working with Apple and Microsoft to try and figure out why many macs bound to WOLFTECH fail to authenticate intermittently. Thanks to all the folks on NC State IT #ad-auth who have done diagnostics and presented logs. The current work-around is to reboot at every logout.
Kaspersky Removal – 5 min
No university owned (or private) devices at NCSU should be running any version of Kaspersky now. Please verify that all your devices are Kaspersky Free! See this report: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BMkzcFBRS8FbI6WdWV9Wsh32c6eOpA807gj454AiQ58/edit#gid=0
Spirion Installation -5 min
All university owned devices should have Spirion Identity Finder installed. Here is a sheet of machines that do not appear to have the app on their boot devices:
Jamf Policy Slowness – 10 min
We have discovered a product issue with Jamf Pro 10.x series where it tries to search all policies including the on-off, throwaway policies created by Jamf Recon. Please avoid Recon due to these issues and the fact that it requires ssh ports to be open. Discussion
macOS 10.14 Mojave issues – 30 min
We have reports of issues with macOS 10.14 and Crashplan 6.5.x. Does anyone see the issue?
Several folks report having to physically be at the console to approve ARD access on new/reformated devices.
Don’t forget that User Approved MDM is in effect with 10.14 pre-approved Kernel Extensions must be setup to avoid the end user seeing approval dialogs.
What other issues are folks seeing?
Endpoint Protection Service Team Update – 10 min
The EPS service team had it’s first meeting today. We discussed process, reviewed some feedback, and talked about implementation, documentation, and risk issues that
Q&A – 15 min
You ask we try to answer
MacPolicy – Tue. Nov 13, 2018 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – Tue. Nov 13, 2018 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday each quarter in Feb, May, Sep, Nov.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy and MacTech do not meet in July or August.
Meetings usually held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.