OIT and the Google Service Team (GST) plan to end support for the Majordomo (Mj2) email manager and create Google Groups for all Mj2 mailing lists.
Creation of Google Groups
- The GST initially planned to create new Google Groups beginning March 17, but has delayed this action until March 31 to reduce the amount of changes in communication technologies in response to the COVID-19 situation.
- If you are a Mj2 list owner:
- You can continue to send email via Mj2 and make any membership changes via the Mj2 interface.
- Your list name will not change. Your new Google Group name will be email@example.com.
- You will be asked to review the settings of your Google Group before it goes live.
Google Migration timeline
- The migration to Google Group will occur in three stages and is scheduled to start on Thursday, April 2 with the migration of a few IT Mj2 mailing lists.
- For upcoming migration dates that will impact you, see Mail Routing Changes – Email Infrastructure: Phase 3.
After the Google Migration
- Web Registry will become the source for converted Mj2 lists.
- Mj2 list owners and moderators will become managers in Google Groups.
- Mj2 subscribers will become members in Google Group.
- See Email Infrastructure: Phase 3.
- Attend the town hall on Thursday, April 9 from 9 a.m. to noon in Room 106 of the Avent Ferry Technology Center. Staff with expertise in both Mj2 lists and Google Groups will be available to answer questions about the migration. You can attend the town hall via Hangouts Meet.
- Contact the NC State Help Desk via the NC State IT Service Portal or at 919.515.4357 (HELP).
See SysNews for migration updates.