In the coming months, Google will rename Chat Rooms to Spaces, dedicated places to organize group members, topics, and projects in Google Workspace.
Spaces will bring new features including:
- In-line topic threading
- Presence indicators
- Assigned tasks
- Expressive reactions, custom statuses using emojis, and GIFs
- Improved content search across Spaces
- Message pinning
- User roles and moderation tools
- Discoverable spaces
In line with previous Google updates, Spaces will also integrate with Calendar, Drive, Chat, Tasks, and other apps across Workspace. The updated interface will feature a new left-hand navigation, which includes several of these primary Workspace apps.
In Spaces, you’ll be able to:
- Create and share docs.
- Discuss and edit files side by side.
- See status from your Google Calendar.
- Run interactive polls.
For more information about this functionality, visit Evolving Rooms in Google Chat to Spaces to create a richer, more collaborative experience.