If you prefer to install manually, see VPN Manual Installation Instructions and Downloads.
NOTE: Java for OS X is required for this installation.
See Java updates available for OS X on July 15, 2015.
The latest version of Oracle Java is recommended for the best functionality.
- Using Safari web browser, go to:
NCSU Remote Access VPN Service
- Enter your Unity ID and password.
Press the Login button.
The Cisco AnyConnect VPN will launch and the install will begin automatically.
If Java is not installed on your machine or cannot be detected, you will be presented with an option to manually download and install Cisco AnyConnect VPN.
To do so, select OK and go to VPN Manual Installation Instructions and Downloads.
- If Java is detected, the download will proceed:
- If you receive this error message:
“Web-based installation was unsuccessful”
then close the browser window.
- Go to VPN Manual Installation Instructions and Downloads and follow the instructions.
- You will be prompted to approve the digital certificate provided by the appliance. It should say:
“The digital signature from “Cisco Systems, Inc” has been verified.”
- To begin the initial installation of the AnyConnect VPN client, click Allow.
Oracle Java will be utilized to install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client to your computer.
- At the prompt to enter your Name and Password,
enter the local ID and password that you use to log in to your Mac.
This is granting access to install the vpndownloader.app.
The Cisco AnyConnect client application will begin to install.
You will be prompted with an Installation was successful window.
- The client will initialize your first connection to the NC State SSL VPN network via the AnyConnect VPN Client.
Once the client is installed you will not have to log in to NCSU Remote Access VPN Service again.
Instead, follow these steps:
- Under Applications, open the Cisco folder.
- Double-click Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client to launch the application.
- In the Connect to: field, verify that vpn.ncsu.edu is selected.
- Click the Select button.
- When prompted, enter your Unity ID and password to log in.
A symbol with a lock will appear in the task bar in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- To terminate the VPN connection:
Right-click on the lock symbol in the task bar.