NCSU Cisco AnyConnect VPN Initial Installation Instructions for Mac OS Machines. If you wish to manually download and install the client instead, please refer to this link.
Please Note: Java for OS X is required prior to following this procedure. Java for OS X can be downloaded via the following link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5648
1.) Using Safari web browser, go to https://vpn.ncsu.edu. Type your NC State Unity username and password. Press the “Login” button.
2) The Cisco AnyConnect VPN will launch and the install will begin automatically. The latest version of Oracle Java is recommended for the best functionality. If Java is not installed on your machine or cannot be detected, you will be presented with an option to manually download and install the client. In this case, you can select “OK” to end the installation, and you can download the client manually here.
3) If it detects Java is correctly installed, it will proceed to download the VPN AnyConnect software:
If you receive a “Web-based installation was unsuccessful” error, close the browser window and please visit the VPN Manual Installation Instructions webpage to download and install the client software manually.
4) You will be prompted to approve the digital certificate provided by the appliance. It should say “The digital signature from “Cisco Systems, Inc” has been verified. Click Allow to begin the initial installation of the AnyConnect VPN client.
5) Oracle Java will be utilized to install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client to your computer.
6) You will receive a prompt from your Mac to enter your Name and Password. Enter the local username and password that you use to log onto your Mac. This is granting access to install the vpndownloader.app.
7) The Cisco AnyConnect client application will begin to install.
8) You will be prompted with a “Installation was successful” window.
9) The client will be installed on your work station and will initialize your first connection to the NC State SSL VPN network via the AnyConnect VPN Client.
10) Once the client is installed you will not have to log into the vpn.ncsu.edu website again. Under Applications, open the Cisco folder and double-click Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client to launch the application.
11) After clicking the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client application, see the “Connect to:” field to make sure you are connecting to vpn.ncsu.edu. You will immediately be prompted for your Unity username and password to login.
12) Once connected, a symbol with a lock will appear in the task bar in the upper-right corner of your screen.
13) To terminate the VPN connection, right-click on the lock symbol in the task bar and select Disconnect.