NOTE: If you are using a university-owned device supported by OIT or your local IT staff, consult with them first before installing the VPN client.
- Operating system: MacOS 10.13.0 or newer
NOTE: This software may work on older versions of macOS but is not officially supported by Cisco or NC State OIT.
- Free hard disk space: 50 MB
- Minimum display resolution: 1024 by 640 pixels
- Administrator privileges: For installation
- Security and Privacy setting:
Allow apps downloaded from:
“App Store and Identified developers.”
For details, see Safely open apps on your Mac.
- Download the installer file. For macOS 10.15 Catalina, download the updated Cisco AnyConnect 4.8 Client.
You may be asked to log in with your Unity ID and password before downloading.
- Double-click on the anyconnect-macos-x.x-predeploy-k9.pkg file. (where x.x is a version number)
- In the Introduction window,
click on the Continue button (lower right).
- In the Destination Select window,
choose the disk where you want to install the software (usually Macintosh HD).
Click on the Continue button (lower right).
- In the Installation Type window,
click on the Install button (lower right).
- In the next window, authorize the installation on your computer by entering:
- In the Installation window,
a progress bar shows the status.
Installation may take a few minutes.
- In the Summary window,
which shows the installation was successful,
click on the Close button.
Locating the client
- In the macOS Finder menu,
- Open the Applications folder.
- Open the Cisco folder inside it.
- In the folder contents, locate
Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
Connecting to vpn.ncsu.edu
- In the Cisco folder, double-click on:
Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
- In the Ready to connect field, type:
if it does not already appear there.
- Click on the Connect button.
- In the window that opens,
from the drop-down menu, select your Group:
1-Faculty-and-Staff: group for all employees.
2-Student: group for all students.
3-Student-Health-Center: specialized group for Student Health Center.
(Group assignment is manual.)
4-Vendor: specialized group for vendor access.
5-OIT-Staff: specialized group for OIT staff.
6-Faculty-and-Staff-FT: group for all employees with all connections in a full tunnel.
7-Student-FT: group for all students with all connections in a full tunnel.
- Enter your Unity ID (username), Unity password and in the Second Password Field type either push, sms, or a passcode to authenticate.
- Click on the OK button.
- The Duo software will then either prompt for confirmation or send a passcode. To learn more about authentication with Duo see https://oit.ncsu.edu/it-security/2fa/.
- On the right side of the macOS menu bar,
a padlocked AnyConnect icon:
indicates a completed, secure connection to vpn.ncsu.edu.
- A similar icon should appear in your dock.
Disconnecting the VPN session
When you finish using your VPN session, be sure to do the following: