These instructions are for Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 4.
- Operating system: MacOS 10.11.0 or newer
NOTE: This software may work on older versions of macOS but is not officially supported by Cisco or NC State OIT.
- Free hard disk space: 50 MB
- Minimum display resolution: 1024 by 640 pixels
- Administrator privileges: For installation
- Security and Privacy setting: Allow apps downloaded from App Store and Identified developers
For details, see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.
Downloading and installing the VPN software
Download the installer
Go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/vpnmac
You may be asked for your Unity ID to login to the download software.
Install the software
- In the Finder, locate the installer you downloaded: NCSU-Campus-Cisco_Secure_AnyConnect4.5.03040.pkg.zip
- Double click on it to uncompress it and a new installer file will be created.
- Double click this file: NCSU-Campus-Cisco_Secure_AnyConnect4.5.03040.pkg
- In the Introduction window: Press the Continue button (lower right).
- In the Destination Select window: Click on the volume desired for installation (usually Macintosh HD).
- Click the Continue button (lower-right).
- In the Installation Type window: Press the Install button (lower-right).
- In the macOS authorization dialog window: Enter the name (Unity ID) and password.
- Press the Install Software button (lower-right).
- When the installation is complete, in the Summary window: Press the Close button (lower-right).
Using the VPN software
Locate the app
- In the macOS Finder: Open the macOS boot volume (typically named Macintosh HD).
- Open the Applications folder and then open the Cisco folder inside it.
- In the list, locate Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app
Connect to vpn.ncsu.edu
- Double click on Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app
- In the Ready to connect field, type: vpn.ncsu.edu
- Press the Connect button.
- Enter a UnityID and password and press the OK button.
Disconnect the VPN session
When you finish using your VPN session, be sure to do the following: