All NC State students, faculty and staff receive an allocation of personal network (AFS) file space that can be used to publish personal Web pages that are accessible via www4.ncsu.edu. Once you’ve finished creating your Web pages, the WWW4 Setup Utility provides a quick and easy way to prepare a place for them online.
What the WWW4 Setup Utility does
- Assigns “Lookup” access privileges for your personal Unity file space (sometimes called your “K:” drive).
- Creates a www directory to hold your Web pages within your personal Unity file space, if necessary.
- Assigns appropriate access privileges to your www directory so that an Internet user can view your Web pages but not modify them.
- Creates a file named index.html within your www directory that serves as a temporary Home page for your site, if necessary.
How to use it
- Go to the WWW4 Setup Utility.
- Type your Unity password in the space provided.
- Click the Set up my Web space button.
- You will see a window that shows your Web address and the path to your www directory, where all your Web page documents must be stored.
After you have stored your Web pages in your www directory and constructed appropriate URLs for them, they will be viewable on the Internet by anyone using a Web browser. URLs for www4 Web pages begin with YourUnityID.
NOTE: The following file extensions are not supported on WWW4 servers: .asp, .jsp, and .php.