Social networking isn’t just social. You also need to consider your privacy and personal protection.
Guard Your Reputation
- Many employers check social network sites before hiring.
- Closely manage who can access your accounts and what they can see.
- Your online posts can get you into legal trouble.
- Be sure to conduct yourself online as you would face-to-face.
- Be civil.
Be Security Conscious
- It’s increasingly possible to connect your online activities with your real-life identity.
- To combat spam, phishing, cyberbullying, stalking, and sexual predators, be very careful about your privacy settings.
- Before you install applications and widgets, be aware that they might change your privacy settings.
- The more “they” know about you, the more vulnerable you are.
Take Action Now
- Review all of your privacy settings (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, web browsers).
- Always use a computer that is protected by an antivirus product.
See NC State Antivirus Resources.
- View social media resources: