OS X Licenses
There is no free, site license for OS X at NC State. Apple offers the latest version of OS X at no cost as upgrade in the Apple App Store.app located in the Applications folder on all devices running 10.6.8 or newer.
Macintosh Campus Groups
There are three groups which exist on the NC State campus to deal with Macintosh and Apple Technology related issues.
MacPolicy, MacTech, and PackMUG. See the FAQ for more details at:
Best Practices Before Any OS X Upgrade:
0) Read the info on compatibility with your software:
OS X: About incompatible software - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258?viewlocale=en_US
1) Always backup your data.
Make a good and complete backup with Time Machine and/or make a copy of your disk with Disk Utility.
How to back up and restore your files:
Time Machine 101 - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427
2) Understand how to restore your backup (you did make that backup!) before you start.
How to back up and restore your files - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427
3) Make sure that all software updates have been completed before upgrading.
4) Repair the startup disk with Disk Utility before upgrading and after upgrading.
5) Download the latest OS X install application from the App Store and install.
Latest Apple Support Issues