The ResNet program at NC State is a cooperative service provided by the Office of Information Technology, Communication Technologies and University Housing. These groups work together to provide students living on campus with data communications service.
The following information outlines the level of service ResNet subscribers can reasonably expect, and the level of cooperation we need from subscribers to provide the best service possible.
ResNet staff obligations
The ResNet program and staff publicly commit to the following minimum levels of technical support and service.
- Level of Service: ResNet staff will attempt to provide ResNet subscribers with a working connection to the ResNet network, which provides connectivity to the campus network and the Internet. In addition, we will attempt to provide functional Internet software, such as a web browser and email client, as supported by ResNet and the university.
- Technical Service Response Times: ResNet staff will attempt to respond within two business days from when you contact us requesting assistance. This response time may be as long as four business days during the first three weeks of the fall semester due to the huge demand for assistance.
- Access to Rooms: During a technical support appointment a ResNet staff member will only enter the room if a resident of the room is there. ResNet staff may enter a room without a resident there only to test or repair the wall outlet. ResNet staff will not touch or disturb personal items except as minimally needed to access the data outlet. A card will be left indicating that a ResNet staff member was there.
- Professionalism:ResNet staff will act in a professional manner throughout their dealings with students. In accordance with this, ResNet staff will:
- Treat students with courtesy
- Keep their appointments punctually, or give ample notification if rescheduling is necessary
- Respect students’ privacy
ResNet customer obligations
ResNet staff are dependent on subscribers for information critical to the resolution of any problems they may have with their ResNet connection. On occasion staff are required to visit subscribers in their rooms. In recognition of these facts, ResNet customers agree to the following points.
- Minimum system requirements: ResNet customers understand that if their computer does not meet the minimum hardware and software requirements, they may not receive service from ResNet staff. ResNet staff may not provide network connectivity support for a computer that has other non network-related problems that existed before a staff member began working on the computer.
- Notification: ResNet customers will notify ResNet staff of problems they are having via email or phone. If not available when contacted by ResNet staff, customers will respond back to voice or email messages left by ResNet staff in an attempt to contact them.
- Appointments: ResNet customers will be present for the duration of the ResNet staff member’s visit. If the customer has to leave, the appointment is over.
- Privacy: Recognizing that most ResNet staff members are also students, customers agree to confine their personal contact with staff to between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m., unless otherwise agreed upon by the staff member.
- Work Environment: Customers agree to help minimize distractions of the ResNet staff member, making the room a work environment more conducive to providing technical support (e.g. lowering loud music or loud conversation).
Maximum Appointment Times
- Unless the staff member and the subscriber have negotiated otherwise, the maximum duration for any one appointment is one hour.
- Not all computer systems are designed to be connected to a network such as ResNet. ResNet staff have attempted to find Ethernet adapters and software that are compatible with a wide variety of computers. However, there will be systems that are incompatible with the supported adapters and software. We are not able to guarantee that all computers can be connected to ResNet; however, we will make our best effort to get you connected within the bounds of this service level agreement.
- The NC State campus network runs 24 hours per day, 365 days per year. However, we must occasionally take the network down for maintenance. Scheduled maintenance normally takes place during the hours of 6:00 a.m. until 8:00 a.m., and will be announced on the SysNews website at least 12 hours (usually 24 hours) before the downtime.
- Unscheduled network outages also occur occasionally. If you lose your connection to the network, contact ResNet. All connection problems will be fixed as quickly as possible, with failures affecting multiple rooms or residence halls receiving the highest priority.