Access to NC State Computing Resources from Off-campus
- When off-campus, NC State students, faculty and staff can securely connect to the mapped drives and other resources they use on campus.
- They can do so by installing Cisco AnyConnect SSL VPN client software on their off-campus machines and setting up a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Launching the AnyConnect VPN client requires a Unity ID and password to verify the user’s identity.
- Following verification, the program creates an encrypted network connection between the user and the NC State network, allowing access to restricted services.
- All users of the NC State VPN service are subject to NC State’s Computer Use Policy and VPN Acceptable Use Policy.
To install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN software, follow the instructions below that correspond to your operating system or device.
NOTE: Chrome OS is currently NOT supported.
- Windows (64-bit and 32-bit systems)
- Windows 10
- Windows 8, and 8.1
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Apple macOS X 10.11 or newer
- Red Hat Linux and Ubuntu
- Apple iPad and iPhone
- Android Devices
If automated installation does not work for your device, you can install the AnyConnect software manually. See VPN Manual Download and Installation.
Using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN software
- Locate the Cisco AnyConnect shortcut on your system and open it.
- In the Connect To: field, make sure to enter:
- Select Connect.
If you have the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client installed and can access internet sites but cannot establish a VPN connection to NC State, please contact the NC State Help Desk.