The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines for Remote Access Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections to the NC State University network.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a secured private network connection built on top of a public network, such as the internet.
This policy applies to all NC State Faculty, Staff and Students utilizing a VPN to access the NC State network. This policy applies to implementations of VPN that allow direct access to the NC State network.
Approved NC State faculty, staff and students may utilize the benefits of a VPN, which is a “user-managed” service. This means that the user is responsible for selecting an Internet Service Provider (ISP), coordinating installation, and installing the required software.
The VPN is an IP only resource. Other protocols are not supported.
It is the responsibility of the employee with VPN privilege to ensure that unauthorized users are not allowed access to the NC State network
VPN access is controlled using ID and password authentication. For Faculty, Staff and Students, the ID is their Unity ID and Password.
All traffic destined for NC State networks is logged and associated with the user, as permitted by NC State Administrative Regulations, section II, G. (Computer Use Regulation.)
- Only traffic destined for NC State networks will travel across the VPN tunnel, all other traffic will go through the user’s ISP.
- VPN users will be automatically disconnected from the NC State network after a predetermined amount of inactivity. The user can immediately log on again to reconnect to the NC State network
- Users of this service are responsible for the procurement and cost associated with acquiring basic internet.
- Users are required to download the VPN client software from this web page in order to activate their VPN access.
- ComTech is providing the VPN service and the service will be supported during 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. business hours by the Network Operations Center (NOC). After hours support will be handled by on-call personnel, but a response is not guaranteed until the next business day.
- If a problem is encountered please report it to the Network Operations Center (NOC) by phone (513-9675) or by email to email@example.com, with the following information available for the consultant:
- Unity ID
- Date and time of problem
- Any error messages
This policy regulates the use of all VPN services to the NCSU network and users must comply with the Computer Use Regulation. To maintain security, VPN services will be terminated immediately if any suspicious activity is found. Service may also be disabled until the issue has been identified and resolved. Any NC State employee found to have intentionally violated the VPN Acceptable Use Policy will be subject to loss of VPN privileges.
By choosing to use the NC State VPN, you hereby agree to all terms and conditions listed above.