OIT rolled out ServiceNow to campus in March 2015 to provide a more robust IT service management platform. This application is being expanded beyond its initial implementation of incident tracking and knowledge management. It has the ability to capture information that can serve as a basis for resource planning and prioritization of activities within the IT community and beyond. This initiative will help prioritize and capitalize on the use of this important resource based on campus needs.
May 25, 2018, from the Interim Report
OIT rolled out ServiceNow to campus in March 2015 to provide a more robust IT service management platform. This application is now being expanded beyond its initial implementation of incident tracking and knowledge management.
- OIT has recently reallocated resources to create two additional ServiceNow developer positions — a lead developer and an entry-level developer. These positions will be key in the growth of NC State’s use of the ServiceNow platform and will help grow our application development capacity.
- OIT is working to develop key service management processes in ServiceNow, such as Service Portfolio, Service Catalog and Configuration Management.
- Key campus projects that are using ServiceNow include:
- Facilities Modification (FacMod) process
- Get2FA tool to support two-factor authentication for Google generic accounts
- Help desk functions in DELTA including the development of an extensive knowledgebase
- New Student Services site for DELTA and Enrollment Management (EMAS)
- Business unit applications used by the CALS Business Office, Campus Enterprises and others
- Pre-award research support application for the College of Natural Resources
- OIT Walk-in Center and ClassTech support applications
June 6, 2016
OIT lost its primary ServiceNow developer and architect in the fall 2015, setting this project back. Even so, during the 2015-16 year ServiceNow was extended to provide the platform for all Facilities Modifications Requests and the Knowledge Base is being used by Enrollment Management & Services for its tutorials and FAQs. Additional work on prioritization and extension of ServiceNow will pick up in the coming year.