MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.3 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2008
- OIT will support only version 10.4 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode on either ppc or intel hardware at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site http://oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the LDAPv3 configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- All OIT distributed Symantec Antivirus software should have been removed by June 22, 2009 to remain in license compliance.
- Only Intel (i386) hardware will be supported for Unity Macintosh kits after Dec. 31, 2009.
2) HOMEWORK due this meeting Sept. 8, 2009 (TODAY) – 1 min.
Complete or retake the Mac OS X License Survey at:
3) Mac OS X VLA survey – 5 min.
Early numbers show about a 17% increase in Macintosh computers on campus. We have seen that not all units have reported. Please take time to take the survey again with the best possible counts so we can accurately negotiate a VLA before the deadline next year. Please check the printout at this meeting as well. This was your HOMEWORK due by the this meeting Sep 8, 2009.
This survey will be closed September 30, 2009. Discussion.
4) Fall 2009 Unity Macintosh Lab Kit Follow Up – 10 min.
The fall lab kit is now Deployed in all OIT Unity Labs. Issues that have been discovered are detailed at:
These will be reviewed in detail in MacTech. Discussion.
5) 10.6 Snow Leopard Release – 10 min.
Mac OS X 10.6.0 was released to public on Aug 28, 2009. No Unity Macintosh kit has yet been released. OIT does not support upgrading the current Macintosh 10.5.7 kit to 10.6. AMP Licensees can get the update by following the instructions on the Software License pages at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106 Discussion.
6) WolfTech Group Issue Update – 10 min.
We continue to work with the WolfTech AD group to resolve the issue where directory services group membership check api’s return incorrect information. We have verified that the api’s return correctly with using the test AD WolfTest. We will be working with Security and Compliance and ISO to audit the directory objects in both domains to try to find and reproduce the issue. Update: No progress due to limited staff resources at the beginning of the Fall 2009 semester. Discussion
7) Antivirus Update – 10 min.
OIT continues to work towards a managed deployment of Trend Micro’s Security for Macintosh (us.trendmicro.com/us/products/enterprise/tm-security-for-macintosh/). The public release of this product from Trend Micro is set for September 26, 2009. Some time after that date Security for Macintosh will replace Intego Virus Barrier X5 as the supported antivirus client for Mac OS X 10.4.11, 10.5.8, and 10.6.x. The Spring 2010 Unity Macintosh Kit will contain the fully managed Security for Macintosh client. After the current X5 virus filter subscription ends all clients should install Security for Macintosh to remain in license compliance. Discussion.
8) Q&A – 10 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Nov 10, 2009 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan. 13, Feb. 10, Mar. 10, Apr. 14, May. 12, Jun. 9, Aug. 11, Sep. 8, Oct. 13, Nov. 10, Dec.8
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 13, Mar. 10, May. 12, Aug 11, Sep. 8, Nov. 10.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.