MacPolicy Group Agenda
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.3 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2008
- OIT will support only version 10.4 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode on either ppc or intel hardware at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site http://oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for updates.
- New short url for OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the LDAPv3 configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- All OIT distributed Symantec Antivirus software should have been removed by June 22, 2009 to remain in license compliance.
- Only Intel (i386) hardware will be supported for Unity Macintosh kits after Dec. 31, 2009.
2) Support Policies – 5 min.
Many folks may have read the web article about end of security updates for version 10.4.x from http://www.9to5mac.com/tiger_support_ends_50067. I asked the Apple Systems Engineer about this and he said there are no official “end of support” notices for 10.4.x from Apple. The support policy OIT functions under for the supported OS set (Windows, MacOS X, Linux, Solaris) is that we will support a given version until the vendor of the OS no long provides security updates either officially or functionally. For Mac OS X this means, as announced, OIT will support only 10.4.11 and newer after December 31, 2009.
3) Bulk buy of ARD and Mac OS X Server license and maintenance – 10 min.
OIT has heard from one other unit on the proposed bulk purchase of Apple Remote Desktop and Mac OS X Server.
Latest prices are at: http://www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ under Apple Education Licensing Program.
ARD: Apple Remote Desktop (Unlimited Managed Systems) Administrator License & 12 months Maintenance – Institution, 1st year enrollment* (25 licenses) $2499 or about $100 per seat.
MacOS X Server: Mac OS X Server License & 12 months Maintenance – Institution, 1st year enrollment* (5 licenses) $349($70)
Mac OS X Server License & 12 months Maintenance – Institution, 1st year enrollment* (25 licenses) $1699($68)
4) Bulk Hardware Buys – 5 min.
OIT is aware of 2 units that are making large purchases. Now would be a good time to check with Fred Brackett (email@example.com) the Apple Sales representative on getting deeper discounts. Discussion.
5) Needs for Spring 2010 kit “Round the Room” – 30 min.
OIT is beginning to work on the Spring 2010 Unity Lab Kit and we need your input on what software and changes from the Fall 2009 Kit you will need. Each member will be asked to state their need for software, directory binding policy, and other changes. Discussion.
6) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tentative:Tue. Jan 12, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan. 13, Feb. 10, Mar. 10, Apr. 14, May. 12, Jun. 9, Aug. 11, Sep. 8, Oct. 13, Nov. 10, Dec.8
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 13, Mar. 10, May. 12, Aug 11, Sep. 8, Nov. 10.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.