MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.3 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2008
- OIT will support only version 10.4 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode on either ppc or intel hardware at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the LDAPv3 configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- All OIT distributed Symantec Antivirus software should have been removed by June 22, 2009 to remain in license compliance.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware will be supported for Unity Macintosh kits after Dec. 31, 2009.
2) Bulk buy of ARD and Mac OS X Server license and maintenance DONE! – 10 min.
Thank you to everyone who made the ARD and Mac OS X server software bulk buy a success. We ended up with 22 copies of ARD out of 25 (3 are still available for purchase) and 25 copies of Mac OS X server. The licenses were delivered Monday Dec 7, 2009. OIT Security and Compliance will be contacting you with your license numbers in the next few days. Discussion.
3) WolfTech AD and Mac OS Update – 10 min.
No progress has been made in testing with WolfTest the schema extensions for managing Mac OS X. It is possible bind into WolfTech and a cron job will run within 5 minutes to move the new computer object into a security group that will allow AD groups to be honored. Binding to pre-provisioned objects has been tested and works. No testing has been done on providing dual realm kerberos configuration via AD or with providing kerberos service tickets from AD to allow use of OpenAFS. Discussion.
4) Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh Managed Client testing – 10 min.
OIT has upgraded on bank of the TrendMicro Managed servers to version 10 and started testing the Office Scan for Macintosh(OSM) product. During this testing it was found that the kernel extensions for OSM conflict with the OpenAFS kernel extensions. OIT will be filing bug reports with both Trend Micro and the OpenAFS team. If you do not have OpenAFS then the OSM is a much simpler and easier antivirus package to use. Discussion.
5) Spring 2010 Unity Macintosh Kit Available – 45 min.
OIT has a new Macintosh image available for use from the image server. Documentation will be available after Dec 10, 2009 at
. This kit uses MIT kerberos and OIT’s OpenLDAP servers to allow login. User home directories are in /Users on the boot hard disk. As with any deployment any AD binding will need to be done post imaging. Due to kernel module panics between OpenAFS and Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh this kit contains UNMANAGED virus protection using Virus Barrier X5 as in the previous kits. Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 will ask for Admin name and password on first run, but will continue if cancel is pressed. Printers need to be created post imaging as usual. However no testing has been done for printing. Using the Logout.app may not log the user out without a second click on the screen. OIT has rewritten the Logout.app and will make the application available for post image installation. The image does not use local directory to manage the machine. Discussion.
6) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tentative:Tue. Jan 12, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan. 13, Feb. 10, Mar. 10, Apr. 14, May. 12, Jun. 9, Aug. 11, Sep. 8, Oct. 13, Nov. 10, Dec.8
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 13, Mar. 10, May. 12, Aug 11, Sep. 8, Nov. 10.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
Please mark your calendar.