MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode on either ppc or intel hardware at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site http://oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for updates.
- New short url for OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Intel (i386) hardware are supported for Unity Macintosh kits.
2) WolfTech AD and Mac OS Update – 10 min.
No progress has been made in testing with WolfTest the schema extensions for managing Mac OS X. It is possible bind into WolfTech and a cron job will run within 5 minutes to move the new computer object into a security group that will allow AD groups to be honored. Binding to pre-provisioned objects has been tested and works. No testing has been done on providing dual realm kerberos configuration via AD or with providing kerberos service tickets from AD to allow use of OpenAFS. The Spring 2010 Unity Macintosh kit requires post imaging binding and replacement of the kerberos configuration file for dual realm support. Testing with WolfTest for schema extension, configuration attribute data population, machine management attribute data population and WorkGroup Manager support with distributed administration will be scheduled in Spring 2010 semester. Discussion.
3) Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh Managed Client testing – 15 min.
OIT has finished the upgrade on a bank of the TrendMicro Managed servers to version 10 and is testing the Office Scan for Macintosh(OSM) product. OIT has filed bug reports with both Trend Micro and the OpenAFS team on the kernel extension conflict. Trend has sent some kind of response over the Winter Break but neither Joe Wells nor myself can find the email. Joe is trying to track down the fix. Discussion.
4) Spring 2010 Unity Macintosh Kit Update – 15 min.
OIT has a new Macintosh image available for use from the image server. Documentation is available at
. This kit requires post imaging installation and binding to WolfTech AD to allow login and replacement of edu.mit.Kerberos file for dual realm support for AFS. User home directories are in /Users on the boot hard disk as configured in the Directory Configuration for AD. As with any deployment any AD binding will need to be done post imaging. Due to kernel module panics between OpenAFS and Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh this kit contains UNMANAGED virus protection using Virus Barrier X5 as in the previous kits. Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 will ask for Admin name and password on first run, but will continue if cancel is pressed. Printers need to be created post imaging as usual and users must enter their Unity ID and password on each print. OIT has rewritten the Logout.app as a Cocoa, Intel native binary that works with 10.6 (earlier versions do not). The image does not use local open directory to manage the machine. Discussion.
5) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Feb 9, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan 19, Feb 19, Mar 9, Apr 13, May 11, Jun 8, Aug 10, Sep 14, Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 14
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 19, Mar. 9, May. 11, Aug 10, Sep. 14, Nov. 9.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2010.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.