MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode on either ppc or intel hardware at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware are supported for Unity Macintosh kits.
2) Spring 2010 Unity Macintosh Kit Update/Known Issues – 35 min.
OIT has a new Macintosh image available for use from the image server. Documentation is available at
. This kit requires post imaging installation and binding to WolfTech AD to allow login and replacement of edu.mit.Kerberos file for dual realm support for AFS. User home directories are in /Users on the boot hard disk as configured in the Directory Configuration for AD. As with any deployment any AD binding will need to be done post imaging. Due to kernel module panics between OpenAFS and Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh this kit contains UNMANAGED virus protection using Virus Barrier X5 as in the previous kits. Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 will ask for Admin name and password on first run, but will continue if cancel is pressed. Printers need to be created post imaging as usual and users must enter their Unity ID and password on each print. OIT has rewritten the Logout.app as a Cocoa, Intel native binary that works with 10.6 (earlier versions do not). The image does not use local open directory to manage the machine. Discussion.
3) Tech Short: Post Imaging Updates required for Sp 2010 Kit including AD binding – 35 min.
Details on the required updates to be applied after imaging a machine with the Spring 2010 Macintosh kit. Active Directory Binding, Local Directory “binding”, changes in OpenAFS single sign on. See: Discussion.
4) Printing Updates: Wolfprint vs Design Print – 15 min.
Printing works as it did in Fall 2009 kit for Wolfprint. Info on Design Print setup? OIT Goal to move to CUPS 1.4.x series in Calendar 2010 so we can begin to move back toward single sign on again. Discussion.
6) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
- Rumors, Predictions and the Crystal Ball – 10 min
We speculate about the Apple Media event next week. Discussion
Next meeting – Tue. Feb 9, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan 19, Feb 19, Mar 9, Apr 13, May 11, Jun 8, Aug 10, Sep 14, Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 14
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 19, Mar. 9, May. 11, Aug 10, Sep. 14, Nov. 9.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2010.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.