MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site http://oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh for updates.
- New short url for OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware are supported for Unity Macintosh kits.
- Mobile Devices & Apps Lunch & Learn – http://webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/schedule/event-details?eventId=453
2) WolfTech AD and Mac OS Update – 15 min.
Progress has been made in testing with WolfTest the schema extensions for managing Mac OS X. Testing with WolfTest for schema extension, configuration attribute data population, machine management attribute data population and WorkGroup Manager support with distributed administration is complete with the exception of dual realm kerberos config testing. MacTech will make recommendations for MCX defaults. Discussion.
3) Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh Managed Client – 15 min.
OIT has tested the Office Scan for Macintosh(OSM) product from Trend Micro with patches for the OpenAFS kernel conflict. The kernel conflict is fixed but fruther issues were found. We have found that normal operations on 10.6.2+ have caused frozen machines in less than 4 hours, found conflicts with Expand Drive and other “filesystem” type applications, and have seen greatly reduced web page load times. Neither OIT ISO or Everette have been able to get a reponse on these issues from Trend Micro. Discussion.
4) iPad Support and Depolyment – 15 min.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/ OIT does not currently plan to implement any managed iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone deployments or tools. OIT support will be limited to the same types of support for configuration of software to reach our systems (email, web, etc) as with any other technology system. Do others have planned deployments or need assistance? Discussion.
5) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. May 11, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan 19, Feb 19, Mar 9, Apr 13, May 11, Jun 8, Aug 10, Sep 14, Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 14
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 19, Mar. 9, May. 11, Aug 10, Sep. 14, Nov. 9.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2010.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.