MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware are supported for Unity Macintosh kits.
- Mobile Devices & Apps Lunch & Learn – http://webapps.ncsu.edu/classmate/workshop/schedule/event-details?eventId=453
2) NetRestore Issues with New Macs – 10 min.
CHASS has discovered that iMac Core i7 machines will not boot from the current NetInstall-Restore based on 10.5.6. Downloading the images and using Disk Utility -> restore does work. Everette will be working on creating a new boot set based on 10.6.3 when released. Does anyone have a i7 Everette can use to create and test? Discussion.
3) Proposed MCX Defaults in University Active Directory Presentation – 60 min.
Update: Testing of Apple Schema extensions in Wolftest is complete and successful. Attributes are extended on Users, User Groups and Individual Computer objects. Extension adds new Computer Lists type which must be used to store MCX settings for MacOS computers. We have successfully tested the editing of MCX records on existing Users, Groups of Users, Individual Computers, and Computer Lists. OIT ISO is working on automatic creation of computer lists with in the current hierarchy. The default settings for Mac OS Computers bound to the AD but not in any Computer List is set on a computer object called guest$. Presentation on proposed default MCX settings. Recommendations to MacPolicy ?? Discussion.
3) Apple Server and Help Desk Support with Repair Training – 5 min.
Book Store has purchased the Apple Server and Help Desk support for campus ($4,500). This gives up 10 server phone support instances, access to the HelpDesk Support Database and tools, and access to Repair Technician Training. Discussion.
5) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Apr 13, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan 19, Feb 19, Mar 9, Apr 13, May 11, Jun 8, Aug 10, Sep 14, Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 14
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 19, Mar. 9, May. 11, Aug 10, Sep. 14, Nov. 9.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2010.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.