MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware are supported for Unity Macintosh kits.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- UNC CAUSE November 8-10, 2010 Hilton Riverside Wilmington, NC.
2) AELP Macintosh Software Collection DUE NOW – 10 min.
OIT is now working to renew the volume license agreement for Mac OS X under the new Apple Education Licensing Program. Bill Coker from OIT Security and Compliance has sent out 2 emails to folks who have licenses on the current VLA.
The new license program has annual renewal and will cover the “Mac Software Collection License & 12 mos. Maint. – Institution” product. The Mac Software Collection includes Mac OSX, iLife, and iWork at a cost of about $27.50 per seat. Everyone who makes an order will be automatically get 1 Media Set on DVD and be charged $15 extra. If you want more than one media set please let Mr. Coker know. Several folks that have current VLA MacOS licenses have not responded. This license information was due two weeks ago. If you would like to be part of this order email FAS/OUC/Project information to Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu TODAY. New machines are NOT AUTOMATICALLY COVERED on this program. Discussion.
NOTES: Question about adding during the year. OIT will have some extra’s available with no prorating but no additional orders to Apple will be made
3)The UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) Program at NC State – 5 min.
Apple desktops and laptops are not a part of the CPI program at this time and may still be purchased. They are not included in any calculations related to the 20% limit on exceptions, though they should be purchased through the MarketPlace e-procurement system.
http://oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases/background-unc-cpi UPDATE: we hear that negotiations are still in process but moving forward. Discussion.
NOTES: Some discussion on how the pricing will work for NC State but no one knows for sure until someone makes an order.
4) Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh Managed Client Update – 5 min.
OIT is working to make Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh available for download to the campus community over Fall break 2010. This will replace the current Virus Barrier X5. Updates are handled via the application and this is a managed antivirus service. Office Scan Mac is running in the Fall 2010 kit. Discussion.
NOTES: Asked if this will be available to students. Yes all campus community.
5) Casper Full Suite Purchase: Who wants in? – 25 min.
OIT is looking at purchasing the full Casper Suite for use on campus. We are willing to contribute to the initial purchase cost and setup cost. We are looking for folks who will pay the $11 per set on going maint. costs. A demo of the features of the full Casper Suite will be given today (09142010) in MacTech and details are available at http://www.jamfsoftware.com/products/casper-suite. Please email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu with the number of seats you would like to have. Discussion.
NOTES: Some discussion and general out line by Everette Allen of the types of features. Test license extended until Oct 15, 2010. OIT will be looking to get final numbers and make order by next MacTech meeting October 12, 2010
6) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
NOTES: None .
Next meeting – ***Tue. Nov 16, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan 19, Feb 19, Mar 9, Apr 13, May 11, Jun 8, Aug 10, Sep 14, Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 14
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 19, Mar. 9, May. 11, Aug 10, Sep. 14, Nov. 16**.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2010.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.