MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware are supported for Unity Macintosh kits.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- UNC CAUSE November 8-10, 2010 Hilton Riverside Wilmington, NC.
2) AELP Macintosh Software Collection DUE NOW – 10 min.
OIT is now working to renew the volume license agreement for Mac OS X under the new Apple Education Licensing Program. Bill Coker from OIT Security and Compliance has sent out 2 emails to folks who have licenses on the current VLA.
The new license program has annual renewal and will cover the “Mac Software Collection License & 12 mos. Maint. – Institution” product. The Mac Software Collection includes Mac OSX, iLife, and iWork at a cost of about $27.50 per seat. Everyone who makes an order will be automatically get 1 Media Set on DVD and be charged $15 extra. If you want more than one media set please let Mr. Coker know. Several folks that have current VLA MacOS licenses have not responded. This license information was due two weeks ago. If you would like to be part of this order email FAS/OUC/Project information to Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu TODAY. New machines are NOT AUTOMATICALLY COVERED on this program. Discussion.
NOTES: Everyone present had turned in their order. Thank you. Clarification of media set and what would be in it. Question about how updates would be distributed when available. Answer off of share servers but if media sets become available OIT would consider a bulk order at cost.
3) New Apple Hardware iPods/AppleTV/iTunes – 30 min.
Apple released a new iPod and Apple TV hardware this month along with a new iTunes and two new social networks: Ping and Game Center. Specs. www.apple.com/ipod/ , www.apple.com/appletv/ , www.apple.com/itunes/ . www.apple.com/itunes/ping/ , and www.apple.com/game-center/ . Discussion.
NOTES: General discussion of applications, specs., etc.
4) Full Casper Suite Service for Campus and Demo – 45 min.
OIT is looking at purchasing the full Casper Suite for use on campus. We are willing to contribute to the initial purchase cost and setup cost. We are looking for folks who will pay the $11 per set on going maint. costs. A demo of the features of the full Casper Suite .
http://www.jamfsoftware.com/products/casper-suite. Please email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu with the number of seats you would like to have. Discussion.
NOTES: Demo and general explanation of how suite works and differences between Imaging only and full suite. Many folks commented on power and ease of use. Many people seemed interested. Emphasis on annual, reoccurring cost of $11-$9 depending on numbers. New FAS and OUC for commitments by Oct 12, 2010
6) Q&A – 15 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Oct 12, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: 2009: Jan 19, Feb 19, Mar 9, Apr 13, May 11, *Jun 15, Aug 10, Sep 14, Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 14
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan. 19, Mar. 9, May. 11, Aug 10, Sep. 14, Nov. 9.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Building unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.