MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.4.11 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2009
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp.
- OIT does not support Classic mode all.
- MacOS AMP Licenses and Media at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- VirusBarrior X5 – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Update filters with NetUpdate.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- Only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware are supported for Unity Macintosh kits.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- UNC CAUSE Apple BOF went well see: http://www.slideshare.net/EveretteGAllen/apple-bof-unc-cause-2010
2) Apple Software, AELP, MacOSX Server bulk, ARD bulk Update – 5 min.
OIT has renewed the volume license agreement for Mac OS X collection. We are waiting for media and confirmation. The 25 seat bulk buy for ARD is up for renewal and each unit participating will be notified. The bulk buy for MacOS X Server is also ready fro renewal and notification will be sent as well. We can add to the MacOS X Server license in blocks of 5. If anyone is interested in adding Server licenses please contact Bill_Coker@ncsu.edu before close of business November 19, 2010. Discussion.
NOTES: None .
3) AutoCad for Mac and Revit – 5 min.
OIT has sent out requests for folks who want to purchase AutoCAD for Macinotsh. It appears that the AutoCAD product may expand on the Mac to include the Revit suite (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=3781831). Should we wait for Revit ?? Discussion.
4) UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) program for IT purchases Update – 5 min.
The CPI documentation is at http://oit.ncsu.edu/it-purchases. At this time continue to purchase Apple hardware via Market Place as usual. There has been no change and negotiations are on going at GA with Apple. Discussion.
NOTES: None .
5) MacBook Air 11″ and 13″ Specs – 15 min.
Apple has introduce new MacBook Air hardware. Specs and details. http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html Discussion.
NOTES: Discussion around adding RAM. 2 or 4 gig RAM must be added and configured at time of purchase and can not be added afterward.
6) 10.6.5 Update and issues – 10 min.
There are several issues with installing both client and server 10.6.5 updates. Remember that the combo updater can be used
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324 and for server http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1327 Discussion.
NOTES: Discussion and stories about success and failures of install. General agreement that downloads of install are getting corrupted. Use combo update downloaded via web browser or select the download and install option in Software Update.app that keeps a copy of the installer local.
7) Casper Full Suite Implementation Discussion – 45 min.
Now that the Full Casper Suite is in purchasing we need to start discussion on how we would like to structure the implementation. I am suggesting that we make a phased deployment. Initially we would simply update the evaluation server with the proper license. Then we would create security containers for folks that have radically different policy needs. At this point we should call in both our engineering setup day and our two day training course. Following training I would suggest that we move to the best enterprise deployment we can architect with JAMF and our OIT resources. What are your thoughts Discussion.
NOTES: Everette presented tentative first steps for Casper Suite server deployment with transition to enterprise LAMT deployment latter in 2011. The group was asked to think about Casper Polices and how they would like to implement. Suggested that one policy per software pacakge and MCX setting be used as Best Practice for modular, flexible deployment. Suggested a single policy for “All managed Machines” that had been previously discussed: Require login and password fields (no list of users) on login window as endorsed by OIT Security and Compliance. Everette will bring forward more formal policy recommendations and implementation plan for review Dec 2010. OIT will produce monolithic disk image based on current lab image for Spring 2011 for delivery by both Casper Suite and imaging. Target Fall 2011 for full use of Casper policy to produce layered software installs. Some discussion on Casper Self-service application. Talk about use of AD groups and gleaning best practices from AD software delivery currently used for deploying other OS configurations. OIT will get proper ssl certificate for Phase 1 deployment (this phase adds real license number to test deployment and creates a tomcat security container for EIT). OIT plans to upgrade the current server to Casper 8 and move to enterprise production with Casper 8. Discussion about UNCGA purchasing template for Casper Suite per the conversation at UNC CAUSE.
7) Q&A – 15 min.
You ask we try to answer.
NOTES: Discussion about Java Consortium, and Flash being moved back to Adobe for installs in upcoming Mac OS Discussion about MacOS App Store.
Next meeting – Tue. Dec. 14, 2010 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month 2010: Dec 14; 2011: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: 2009: Jan Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2011.All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar. .