MacPolicy Group Agenda
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
1:30 to 2:30 — Room B16-B Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Casper Suite Server Beta
- Everette and Hal attending sold out WWDC 2011 June 6-10, 2011
1) Casper Suite Annual Maintenance Due October 30, 2011 w/ 2% increase – 10 min.
The annual maintenance for 2011-2012 will be due by October 30, 2011. We have been informed by JAMF Software that annual Maintenance cost will increase by 2% to 20% of per seat retail cost. Please figure these costs into your budget if you have Casper seats:
Mac OS – $11.00
iOS – $9.00
2) CPI Update – 5 min.
Negotiations continue between Apple and GA. No official signed agreement yet. At this point buy all the Apple product you need using Market Place and/or bulk buy with no effect on CPI quotas. Discussion.
3) iOS App Store Purchase Process No progress – 5 min.
No process for iOS or Mac OS App store purchase has been established. Best practice at this point is to purchase gift cards via Market Place and redeem one card per device giving each device a unique email address and Apple Account. Discussion.
4) Mac OS App Stores – 5 min.
No change on Mac OS App Store procedures. This is still mostly a consumer process. Many institutions are beginning to treat software as supplies like pencils. Discussion.
5) Applications for Fall 2011 – 15 min.
Around the room request for needed applications. Questions about Solver Pro vs Free? Freeze Date is May 26, 2011. Fall 2011 OS will be Snow Leopard (10.6.6+). We do not think we will not be able to QA Lion in time. Discussion.
NOTES: . Design: Google Earth Pro, Updates for iLife, Filezilla/Cyberduck vs Fetch, Dropbox, Handbrake, Mpeg Streamclip, Skype, VLC Player, Growl, ??AutoCAD for Mac
6) Q&A – 5 min.
You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. Aug 9, 2011 in Room B16-B Hillsborough from 1:30-2:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2011.
All meetings will be held in B16-B Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.
Please mark your calendar.