MacTech Group Agenda
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Room B3 Hillsborough Bld.
1) Announcements – 5 min
- OIT will support only version 10.5.8 or newer of Mac OS X after Dec 31, 2011
- Apple Education Support Line 800-800-2775 use this number only. Always verify Apple Care Coverage with purchase info.
- OIT does not have a support policy for Boot Camp. & OIT does not support Classic mode at all.
- Mac Collection Licenses and Media info at www.ncsu.edu/software/available-software/product.php?software=106
- Trend Micro Office Scan for Macintosh – www.ncsu.edu/it/antivirus. Managed antivirus for campus.
- OIT Macintosh Support Web Site go.ncsu.edu/mac for updates.
- Unity Macintosh Kit uses /Users/$uid$ in the Active Directory configuration to create a local home on each machine at login
- Modified Unity Macintosh Kits are supported by the unit which has made the modifications.
- OIT supports only Apple, Intel (i386) hardware for Mac OS and software. Only unmodified iOS is supported.
- Please remember to check prices at www.apple.com/education/pricelists/ to verify best price with NC State Marketplace
- Anyone wanting to get access to training and tools for Apple Certified Technician should register at gsx.apple.com Email Everette_Allen@ncsu.edu for Sold-to Account number and approval.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI)
- NC Casper User’s Group – go.ncsu.edu/nccug
- Casper Suite Server Beta
- Everette and Hal attending sold out WWDC 2011 June 6-10, 2011
2) Updates from April Meeting – 10 min.
Casper Suite Server Best Practices – As requested OIT added DMG in addition to PKG format for installers in Casper.
AutoCAD – Bill Coker has been told that AutoCAD for Mac OS can not yet be put into the campus license. As requested AutoCAD for Macintosh will not be available for Fall 2011.
Vpython – After talking with the instructors using Vpython OIT will provide Python-3.1.3 and VPython-Mac-Py3.1-5.71 for install with Casper Suite. Note that both packages are required and syntax changes at http://vpython.org/contents/download_mac.html.
Duplicate the policy “OIT-VPython3.1” from the OIT Labs Category to install.
Adobe CS 5.5 – We are still waiting to get this media. If available by freeze date CS 5.5 will be used.
Casper Suite Enterprise Depolyment – Update. Still looking at hosted vs local.
3) Casper Suite Annual Maintenance Due October 30, 2011 w/ 2% increase – 10 min.
The annual maintenance for 2011-2012 will be due by October 30, 2011. We have been informed by JAMF Software that annual Maintenance cost will increase by 2% to 20% of per seat retail cost. Please figure these costs into your budget if you have Casper seats: Mac OS – $11.00/seat iOS – $9.00/seat Discussion.
4) New iMac Hardware and keyboard changes -10 min.
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html Thunderbolt, new graphics cards, quad core i5, SSD in addition to SATA. Note that only the wired, extended keyboard and the wireless keyboard w/out numeric key pad remain as options. Discussion.
5) Applications for Fall 2011 – 30 min.
Around the room request for needed applications. Questions about Solver Pro vs Free? Freeze Date is May 26, 2011. Fall 2011 OS will be Snow Leopard (10.6.6+). We do not think we will not be able to QA Lion in time. Discussion.
6) Tech Short: Kiosk from nothing at all (Well almost) – 30 min.
Building on Casper deployment techniques we have a procedure to streamline installs of new machines. Summary of procedure:
a) Read MAC address from box and enter as MDHCP in hostreg.ncsu.edu (or LanAdmin), b) add to Prestage in Casper, c) Boot from Install/Restore media that ships with computer, d) Use Utilities menu to run terminal, e) cd /Volumes/Macintosh HD/tmp, f) /Volumes/Macintosh HD/usr/bin/tftp 126.96.36.199, g) get NetBoot/NetBootSP0/aanetbootcasper.sh, h) chmod a+rx /Volumes/Macintosh HD/tmp/aanetbootcasper.sh, i) /Volumes/Macintosh HD/tmp/aanetbootcasper.sh,, j) reboot. Casper does the rest. Note after all Casper installs will net to logout and log back in again to get MCX records to work.
See details at: oit.ncsu.edu/macintosh/new-hardware-kiosk-casper
7) Q&A – 15 min. You ask we try to answer.
Next meeting – Tue. June 14, 2010 in Room B3 Hillsborough from 2:30-4:30 pm.
MacTech – 2nd Tuesday each month: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
MacPolicy – 2nd Tuesday of every other month: Jan, Mar, May, Aug, Sep, Nov.
Neither MacPolicy or MacTech will meet in July 2011.
All meetings will be held in B3 Hillsborough Bld unless otherwise announced.